We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Little visiters

i have a humane mouse trap set up on top of the polish coop and i m starting to find little field mice in there 
i take the trap out and set it free in the garden hedge but im starting to wonder if its the same little mouse i keep catching..........
maybe he thinks the trap is a teleportation rocket ...in he goes and waits and the next thing hes landed up the garden 
 im a bit of a hypocrite- hate rats but love these tiny little things 
xx kath 

Comments

• sandiesbrahmassandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    You're not alone, Kath.
    They don't look at all like the 'house mouse', do they? (I think they aren't averse to coming indoors, though.).
    My 'mouse traps' (2 cats....only one of which hunts) are far from humane. I hate the way they toss them in the air and play around with them until they eventually die.
    That little mouse of yours probably thinks...ha, here comes my feeding bubble. It's worth waiting around an hour or two to be let out after the food.

Sandie

• solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    Hi Kath,

Now I've always thought that you have to take them much further away than that, and we always used to take them at least half a mile away.  Although of course, strictly speaking you're not supposed to re-release them.:-\"
  • sandiesbrahmassandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    My cat must have read this thread. She asked to come in and  dropped a live mouse at my feet. It ran up the back of cupboards and took about half an hour before it was caught. 

The punishment?....mouse grabbed by the tail by me as it climbed up the wall and deposited out on the grass a few metres from the house where it lives to squeak another day. the cat?...well she got praised....but how do you explain to her that dead is fine,live,not so. Still, I have gone up in her estimation.....I can catch my own LIVE mice!

Sandie
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    Touble is youve started something now ....your cat will be keen to bring you more to "play" with.
    well done on catching it so quickly ...my cat did this a few years back and it took us 3 days to catch the mouse .
    xx Kath
  • BonnieBonnie Senior Member
    Kath, my OH once picked up a large plant pot to move it to another place and about 10 tiny field mice popped out of the bottom - our cat didn't know which one to go for first and by the time she'd made her mind up they'd all gone :))
    She did manage to catch 1 one day, brought it live in her mouth to the kitchen door as if to say "what do I do with it now/" we both shouted drop it and it scuttled off unharmed across the garden - phew
  • doormousedoormouse Senior Member
    So what do you name your new pets?! M
    edited October 2016
    ive suddenly got bigger fish to fry :-q
    next door have announced they have a rat in their shed but have refused my offer of a loan of traps / bait station ...instead they have decided to have a mass clean out to disturb them and send them out
     trouble is they will then probably want to settle in my garden .....here we go again :((
    xx kath
    oh and thaks everyone for not making fun of my spelling visitors / visiters

• doormousedoormouse Senior Member
    Well, those of us (like me) that are getting on a bit are allowed the odd dodgy fingers on the keyboard without comeback!...the way I look at it is if your neighbours have a mass clean out you'll have somewhere to blag to store that wood in consolation for killing their rats! (maltesers/flour/Great Grandpappy...bring it on again!!) ~:>M ^:)^
    funny you should say that but i took down a wooden shed in the spring to replace it with a metal one and most of the wood ended up in next doors shed -some to chop up for firewood for me and the rest used as fencing and  planters for his garden
    he wasnt sure if it was mice or rats so  i told him about the flour bag trick and alsothe apple trick ...he chose to put an apple in the middle of the floor and the next day it had vanished so only rats are strong enough to move an apple ...
    xx kath