We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Anyone had pet turkeys?

Just wondering if any of you have ever kept turkeys as pets?  A friend of mine has just taken some on and was wondering about average lifespan, egg laying, etc.  Any tips?

Comments

• sandiesbrahmassandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    No,but I like the idea.I looked into their care a few years back when I nearly bought some.

They live up to about 10 years and lay about 2-3 eggs per week. Apparently, the eggs don't scramble (for what it's worth).

A neighbour had one called Myfanwy and she was pretty brainless. She wandered off a lot and went broody a lot.

I think the males can be a bit aggressive (but not as bad as geese) and they are pretty noisy (but then, so are chickens!)

I hope your friend likes them. They look so silly that they must be fun to keep!

Sandie
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    Thanks Sandie!  Hope they're not too brainless, as when they are tame she wants me to go and help her to train them to count, so watch this space!! ;))