We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Gold Brahma?

Hi all

Sorry haven't been here for a while but it's been a bad couple of months :-(

We're looking at getting 2 or 3 gold brahma hens at the weekend but thought I'd check in here to see what experiences you have had first.

We're now down to 2 rescues - Mabel and Cookie. Sadly had Lumen pts a few days ago - damn eyp. We were hoping to get her implanted but she had lots of absesses too :-(

We're still going to get some rescues in the near future but we saw some gold brahmas and fell in love with them. However, rather than jump in the deep end we're doing a bit of research first but so far seems good. xx

Comments

• undautriundautri Senior Member
    edited August 2016
    sorry to hear youve been through a rough patch ...hope things turn around now
    i havent had brahma hens but both krull and buzz were brahma roosters and i wouldnt hesitate to get more
    youll see a big difference in size but the hens are docile and friendly and prone to going broody which is bad if you want them for eggs but really good if you want hens that are less prone to eyp etc
    go for it Bonnie - you wont be disappointed

xx kath
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    Sandie is the forum expert here of course!  I wouldn't have them mainly because of the broodiness!  Could you resist giving in to a broody hen and giving her a clutch to sit on?  However - they are a lovely looking hen...

I'm sure you know that other things can and do go wrong with pure breeds, but they generally last longer and that can give a flock some continuity.
  • BonnieBonnie Senior Member
    Hi Kath and Helen

Oh dear are they REALLY bad at going broody?    We aren't fussed about eggs.  You may remember we had Poppy our Buff Orp who was a softy with gorgeous nature BUT she was an absolute nightmare when she went broody - wouldn't come out of nest box to eat/drink, would peck at us if we tried to get her out and in the end we had to put her in a cage in the cool dark garage to stop her which made us feel sad.   We lost her to cancer after only about a year :-(
    Well, we have until Saturday to decide ................ 
  • sandiesbrahmassandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    Brahmas are definite 'eye candy'.....very big, sleek, friendly and excellent mums.....but as Helen says, they are programmed to be constantly broody and can sit on over a dozen eggs due to their size.

They are very long-lived. My current oldest is (broody) Mrs Grey aged 9 and they can live to 15 or more.

I'm thinking of having more Brahmas again. Gold,Blue Partridge and Red Pyle all crop up if two Blue Partridges are bred (simple Mendelian dominant inheritance) and they form a really colourful (if heavy, greedy and broody, flock).

Sandie
    edited August 2016
    Bonnie - they are actually really GOOD at being broody!!  And they have very feathery feet which make very good mud collectors!

If it helps you make a decision, the Omlet site is pretty good for hen reviews:

Whatever you decide - keep us informed!~:>
    We have brahmas :-)
    2 gorgeous gold laced brahmas called Tess and Sita. They have settled in really quickly with Mabel and Cookie. Bedtime is interesting - Cookie and Mabel get squished into a corner on the roosting bars. At least they won't get cold in winter ;-)
    Photos to follow.................
    edited September 2016
    So you couldn't resist eh?! ;)  How old are they?
    Cant wait to see the pics and loving the names
    did Mabel and Cookie object to them at all or just looked at the size of them and kept quiet?
    xx kath
    Oh Helen, no we couldn't resist, they are sooooo gorgeous :-) :-)
    They were hatched in March but are already so big! They have lovely natures.

Kath - Mabel had a go at Tess who is slightly bigger than Sita. Mabel was VERY brave considering the size of Tess - she more or less had to get a step ladder ;-)
    They all get on very well - phew!

As they are believed to be named after the Brahmaputra river in India Tess is named after Mother Theresa and Sita is the Indian Goddess
    2016.09.11 Tess & Sita

Our new big girls!

Theyre really pretty and look so cuddly :x
    what are they like for being handled ?
    xx kath

edited September 2016
    Lovely ladies!  Just think - next year they could be hissing and spitting at you!!  Or maybe they'll be big fuzzy cuddly broodies.... >:)
    Hissing and spitting at me! I thought only camels did that ;-)
    Tess is definitely a big teddy bear although we haven't got to the stage where we can cuddle easily yet!
    ive found that its the smaller broodies that peck at my hand ..and make the loudest noises ....the smallest of my two little silkies is the worst ive ever had
    My bigger ones put up with handling when broody but heaven help another hen that gets too close 
     bet your rescues are feeling the benefit of those fluffy bottomed room mates now the weather is getting cooler :)>-
    kath xx

They are certainly settling in and all are cuddling up together at night but both Brahmas are now moulting so they may rely on our 2 ex-batts for heat soon :)>-
    1 brahma and 1 very ratty looking feather duster :D   Poor Tess, she may be the bigger and more bolder of the 2 but she sure looks ratty without a tail, neck feathers and lots of body feathers missing.  If looks could kill I'd be dead :(   I'm sure they're wondering where on earth we have brought them and what have we done with their feathers :))
    They are growing in though
    aww they really dont like the moult do they and the fluffier they are the worse they get to look after moulting
    my Gracie looks half her usual size at the mo (barred wyandotte bantam) everyone else seems to have finished but the three bluebelles havent started yet
    glad they are all settled with you bonnie
    xx kath
  • doormousedoormouse Senior Member
    Bless - my Galinda seems to moult regularly (the bully that pecks everyone's feathers - serves her right!)...Yorkie now has no tail and Elphaba has never really had a chance to feather up...Kath - I really like the idea of having a 'fluffy bottomed room mate'! ;;) now the nights are drawing in! ~:>M
    Oh Kath, now look what you've started - everyone is going to want a fluffy bottomed room mate :)) :)) :)) :))
    look at that ...back 2 mins and shes lowered the tone already :))
    trouble is theres fluffy bottomed roommates and theres fluffy bottomed room mates ...
    its
    just me and my pussy here who can be a bit of a nightmare at night
    attacking my feet and managing to get inside duvet covers
    xx kath           
    Oi -  ROFL!!! I can keep control of my fluffy bottomed cat room mate but she's ratting at the mo (loudest purr in the world) and we keep forgetting to look under the bed...just remember when the smell emerges...yuk...but good on her.  OH not sure about how to cultivate required fluffy bottom but have put request in!!... LOL   :-O M
    Look what I've been missing these last few days.  I haven't been able to load the site onto my computer for some reason until today, and there I was wondering about our old friend Marie!

fluffy bottom room mates :))

'just me and my pussy ....'
    :))

Oh Kath!!!
    :D
    Definitely need some of that Welsh water!!  ~:> M
    In the old days of the previous forum format you'd have never been able to slip that word past the pointy finger!! ^#(^