We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

fascinating things going on round my pine end

anyone clued up about bats?
been seeing much more than usual this year so took a video last night ...hat on earth are they doing and any idea what breed they may be
https://plus.google.com/u/0/115937642924342264831/posts/Lig343ZQRYx?pid=6294512373469836370&oid=115937642924342264831
thanks
 kath

Comments

• sandiesbrahmassandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    I can't get the video to play....says 'An error has occurred ,try again'....so don't have a clue!

If the wingspan is about 4" across they are likely to be pipistrelles (they like pine ends!).

We have pipistrelles which overwinter under the eaves and come out at night.....or more accurately at dusk, or by day if they are really hungry. If they are getting inside their droppings look like those of mice. They don't cause any trouble (and are protected).

What were they doing? Behaving a bit batty?

Sandie
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    not sure why it works for some and not others .tried but failed to put it straight into post
     they were acting odd....not just flitting around but 2 chasing each other round and around my chimney pot then landing on the wall then slipping down and crashing onto my coalhouse roof
    ..about the size of a sparrow
    a third one came along and the first 2 moved off.
    surely not mating in june ???????????????
    x kath
    Yep.....that's probably it, Kath. Pipistrelles start mating about now and are enthusiastic to say the least.

Here's Pip, last year's orphan.
    Pip
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    Lucky you!  It's been years seen we've seen bats in our garden.

I reckon they are feeding off insects that are attracted to the heat coming off your roof after a hot day?

Otherwise they've obviously heard all about your batty ways and have come home to momma.
    :))
    Helen......I reckon Kath has the 'hot' pine end.....ours is a bit dilapidated and tired looking.

Bats are commonplace around here....Pipistrelles mainly, but Horseshoes and some quite rare ones,too .

They become very tame when orphaned and will hang off a jumper to be transported around. They love live mealworms fed from tweezers,too.....any leftovers being devoured by the chooks. (Autocorrect decided chooks are cooks....I don't usually cook with live mealworms.

There's lots of insects around right now, with the swallows and house martens having a field day by day and the bats by night.

Sandie

• undautriundautri Senior Member
    edited June 2016
    Theres always been bats around here but for some reason im seeing a lot more this year and theyre flying lower
    there was one last night again, even though it was raining , flying round and around my chimney stack ...would that be the bat version of pole dancing?
    wonder why they have singled out my chimney stack to dart around
    thanks for the info Sandie i thought they bred in spring
    just been outside and sure enough theres a few things that possibly look like mice droppings on the coal house tiles ...i often find owl pellets in my coal house guttering so theres defo something very attractive round my pine end
    xx kath
    You're not referring to the builder's bum are you Kath? :-j
  • LittlechickLittlechick Senior Member
    Argh..... that pine end has a lot going for it.... and to answer for! bats here too, they swoop around the  house and it's lovely watching them. Your pine end is obviously THE place to be for the bat community. Bit unfortunate if they are getting so carried away that they are falling off the chimney and sliding down the roof!
    How is Momma bat lately?  The forum is in need of news of your pine end!  :-h