We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Not such a good way to go.....

Had to kill two of my exbats today.  PM's showed that both had cancer in their system.  What a b*gger.

Wish every hen could die like Humbug.....
:((

RIP Millie & Betsy.  Rescued together from the big motorway crash over two years ago, buried together beak to beak.  Loved to bits.

Comments

• LittlechickLittlechick Senior Member
    Helen, sorry. It's s*** to have to do that when you know there is no other way. 2 years of freedom is a good innings. Hugs to you. x
  • BonnieBonnie Senior Member
    Oh no, that's so sad. Cancer is such a s**t, so cruel. I remember the crash well.   They were 2 lucky ladies ending up with you and having a wonderful retirement. RIP Millie and Betsy xx
  • sandiesbrahmassandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    Sorry,Helen.....cancer in these brown hybrids who have systems geared up for over-production often develop reproductive systems. If you see them going down, it is kindest to euthanise them......I'm not the 'man for the job', though.

I've hardly ever had cancer in a 'thoroughbred'.....however, the likes of 9 year old Mrs Grey means that she has probably laid under 100 eggs in her long lifetime, being broody most of the time (having just laid about 6, she is in 'broody jail' once more).

The two years of life you gave them is longer than they would have had as a production hen in all probability.

Sandie
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited June 2016
    Thanks ladies.

Sandie - I always assumed you'd be capable of that deed. 
    I absolutely hate it, but I feel responsible for my own, and want the place they loved to be the last thing they see.  

Bonnie - To think that they were not even destined for rehoming, but on their way to slaughter makes their little retirements quite something really.  I also had 'Muddie', who died of kidney failure last year.

Millie has had a bloaty belly for a few months, and doing well with the odd drain and diuretics to keep the fluid down.  However, a few days ago we knew it was time to stop the meds.....  you just know don't you?  She had liver issues and ovarian cancer, with some tumours starting in the intestines.

Betsy was a bit of a surprise.  Although she'd been off lay for some time she showed no signs of being poorly at all, until sourcrop suddenly set in, with no improvement after two days.  When exbats are concerned I know it's almost always due to system blockage.  It is as if she put up an appearance waiting for Millie to be ready to go...
    She had many tumours throughout her intestines, enlarged spleen, ovarian tumours etc.

You know me by now - I just have to know that I've done the right thing, that's why I do pm's.  I can't stand the 'if only' game!!  If I hadn't done pm's I'd be wondering if there was a virus or something in the flock because....

.... brace yourselves - 'Sunshine' is about to collapse any day.  Her kidneys must be virtually packed up.  She's drinking almost to drowning point, eating loads of watery food (melon, duck weed etc) and 'pooing' pure water.  Otherwise she's fine (!!!)

:((
    Oh jeez you are not having a good time at the moment.
    The garden sure seems emptier at the moment.  I haven't had just 6 hens since I first started keeping them!  And no BHWT rescue date on the horizon yet either.
    Anywhere near Biggin Hill? There is a rescue tomorrow and there are expected to be extras?
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    So sorry youre having such a horrid time lately
     i hope things settle for you now although as you say, Sunshine doesnt sound too good with you.
    thinking of you
    xx kath
    Thanks Jules - I'm happy to wait really, I'm sure there will be one this summer nearby.

Thanks Kath - I think I'm weathering up quite well as I've been expecting a bit of a meltdown with this lot.  Been foraging with them and some lovely homemade compost this afternoon - always good for the soul.  Busy hens are happy hens as they say.
    Sunshine is still bright in herself, but I think she must have rabies!!!!
    ;)
  • doormousedoormouse Senior Member
    I can't believe that motorway crash was so long ago...I remember it well...those hens were lucky - as luck goes!

I've still thankfully only had to help Nuggett go and that was back in 2011 but I still bear the scars but I agree that they 'tell  you' they've had enough and I have to help. PM's help me too...as you know! M  ~:>
    Two in the same day was a first for me Marie.  So was three hens lost in a week.

Mind you - I feel lucky that I got to the end of the week without losing another!
    X_X