We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Red bum?

Hi everyone our Lumen is a bit under the weather. Her egg laying which was good and regular is now sporadic - some are good, some are soft and then good again. This morning there was yolk on the roosting bars. No shell.
OH put her into cage indoors this afternoon. She was eating and drinking well but no poo. When I got home from work I checked for eggs and found nothing untoward. Whilst carefully checking her inside she did a poo which was a bit messy but then when we let her outside she did a normal poo. Worryingly Mabel (head hen) kept pecking at her. Does Mabel know something we don't? :-(
Anyway I'll post a couple of photos of her behind which has red patches. Any ideas please?

Comments

• BonnieBonnie Senior Member
  • LittlechickLittlechick Senior Member
    She looks like one of your rescues... Does she have any lice and have you checked the coop for red mites (look for peppery dustings). Rub some sudocrem on for her that should give a little relief from the soreness.
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    Ouch she does look sore bless her
     sudocrem is brilliant like jules said
    what bedding is she on?
    xkath

Hi Jules, yes Lumen was one of our last rescues. Her backend was fine yesterday. We regularly check for red mites and lice after having been affected in the past - yuk, especially the red mite!   When we got Lumen, Mabel and Cookie we dusted them for red mite but have noticed that their skin on their backs is a slightly darker pink than the other girls have been.  Lumen has always had air in her crop since we got her, which we understand could have been due to a trauma letting air in.  It has never bothered her and she eats and drinks well.  
    It's strange but all our girls, when they have been ill, gravitate to one particular corner of their bath, which we call 'sickie corner' and whenever we see one there, looking like a plum pudding, we know somethings up.  Lumen was is sickie corner today :-(
    Thanks for the sudocrem tip, we'll try that.
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    Chances are that she's got a piece of shell, or what I call a 'chewing gum lump' (soft shell all scrunched up).  Even a tiny piece of shell stuck in the system can get them down.
    Having said that - since she's pooing well then it's not that large, and they can be a bugger to winkle out.  Have you tried the 'probing in the warm bath' method?!

Mabel is probably just attracted to the red colour, and/or may be used to collecting the odd eggy morsel from Lumen's bum feathers (such as they are)!

Good luck with her.
    Hi Kath - sorry I missed your comment last night. We use Softbed in their house. However, that has just given me a thought as Lumen sometimes likes to bathe on the hardwood chips outside rather than in their nice soft sand bath hmmmmm.

Hi Helen
    I did the olive oil covered glove probe.  She was very good bless her.  Nothing odd found however I may try the warm bath method in the future.

For now she has perked up and is 'peeping' noisly again - we did miss her peeps!  Keeping her in for 1 more night to monitor her but all going well, she'll be outside again tomorrow.  And Mabel has stopped beating her up :-)

• solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    Once I had an exbat who took three weeks to pass a bit of shell, and she was fine during that time.  Then there's all the ones without shells at all... maybe that's what this was.