We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

trouble with eggs

undautriundautri Senior Member
my usual problem is a shortage of eggs for various reasons but this year ive been having plenty
trouble is with eggs comes trouble .....
Buffy- prolapsing
Betsy - laying internally
Georgie- given up
Lillybeth -laid one egg days ago , nothing since
Gracie- still not in lay
Sally Sioux and Misty - very broody
Bluebell- laying but likely to go broody again any day
No idea w
ho was laying those lashes a few weeks back
which
brings us to the bluebells ... had a soft shell about a week ago then
Isabella stopped laying for a while ...last night i found a walnut sized
egg in their coop -opened to find this inside...
.egg23516no yolk - just a few pale blobs a small disc of eggshell and a streak of blood
anyone seen this before ?

Comments

• solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    I've seen similar things to this, including an egg with a definite white yolk.  Usually I see things like this with batties when they are about to stop laying for whatever reason (internal laying for example).

I've got a similar list to yours Kath!  9 hens but only one laying regularly.  I too, usually have eggs to spare and give to neighbours, but not this year!
  • sandiesbrahmassandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    Oh girls....what a disaster. you both need to borrow my Gordon....he'll lick them into shape. even my 9 year old Mrs Grey has laid a few.

Seriously,though, this does seem to happen from time to time.....but it usually resolves after a while. sad when so many things crop up at once.

I've got Moel seriously broody and Marv thinking about it, but the rest are on "Egg Fest' . Somebody is laying those horrendous, thick, allover bumpy things, but nobody is ill.

Here's a bit of "mountainside magic' through the air.

Sandie

• undautriundautri Senior Member
    Helen- Georgie laid 3 white yolked eggs a few years back then went back to normal ones - no idea why but apparently there is a breed abroad somewhere that only lays white yolked eggs and they sell for a fortune
    Sandie - ive put an ad on preloved for a cockerel but had no replies ...now im thinking about getting eggs for sallysioux but other "things" keep cropping up that i need to deal with first ........
    just replaced my old wooden garden shed with a metal one that seems snug and cosy for a broody pen but don't know yet where i can set up a broody run thats safe and secure for them while they're small
    got plenty of good wood left from the shed including the roof thats in perfect condition and is the same as i over-ordered when i made the silkie coop..in fact all i need is a roll of wire ...without a big hole in it ..and i can make another coop :O)
    kath xx

• LittlechickLittlechick Senior Member
    We were on an egg fest too then things started to slow down.... Phoebe went broody months ago (now has 2 chicks). Tango broody. last Buff Sussex (Buffy) broody, Inky broody for second time (might be coming out of it), Mabel broody, Summer broody. They are being wormed and I have also found red mite exploding in the Big House. 

So, have a really good check for red  mite - with the warmer weather it doesn't take long for it to have an effect on the hens and egg laying. I am struggling to get it under control. Waiting for a new product to arrive next week and will let you know if it works. I should have known the mite was a problem (I check just about every day but this was in the litter again. (as well as nooks n crannies) ... litter now removed and a puppy pad in there lol) as some of the girls decided to roost on the bar in the run instead of the house - always listen to what the hennies are trying to tell you!

Hopefully things will settle soon Kath, it is depressing when so many things go wrong at once.
    I noticed red mite in my coop a few days back, I swept the old bedding etc and absolutely covered the coop with diatom. (much more than I intended as the top came off my ready made shaker and dumped about 500g in one go.) No problems encountered since.

It is that broody time of year again...I have one in broody jail....constructed from sheep hurdles. Moel, the broody, cannot escape, but a La Flèche has managed to find her way in after the food.....who ever heard of putting yourself in jail?

Gordon is an absolute pest right now, leading his girls to the sheep food hopper where he manages to pull the board retaining the feed out and deposit huge amounts on the floor.

It also seems to be 'big and deformed egg time here.....i'll take a pic. I guess someone has an ovarian infection, but haven't managed to find out who.

Sandie

well ive had an odd egg off Isabella but just the one and it was fine but no sign of a second egg off Lillybeth , no sign of Gracie laying,Bluebell and Sally Sioux still very broody and it looks like Misty is heading that way too
    Betsy is laying internally but doing broody poos
    Sally Sioux is getting very aggressive with the little ones when i toss her out but yesterday i opened up to find her with a bloody comb .............and Georgie with a pink flecked beard so shes not getting away with her tantrums all the time
    good luck with the pesky mites
    x kath
    edited May 2016
    We're usually lucky to have one egg, but look what was waiting for me the other day - all in the same place - 1 egg and two wind eggs! The biggest one is a normal batty sized egg.

DSCN2531
    edited May 2016
    Well here's a few of mine...strange eggs, and strange clouds. Well,the internet here is too slow to show you the amazing cloud formation, but the egg on the left is a HUGE egg 110g, the one in the middle is flat on one side and the end egg is about the right size, but covered with ridges and folds.Strange eggs,strange clouds 2
    edited May 2016
    Two can play that game Sandie!  Here's an old one from Nelly Dean:  I remember thinking it was a finger in the nest box!  (Aaaargh - zombie chickens!!).

DSCN0662
    wow !!!
    ive had nothing that can compete with those ...Georgie once laid a tiny wind egg -more the size of a blackbirds egg but i didnt take a pic of it
    Well, I have to say Helen's Dastardly Digit takes the prize.......eugh.....somehow looks nasty....not that my crinkly and flat eggs looked very appetising.

Sandie