We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Buff Sussex Bantam Respiratory Problem

Sadly lost one of our little BF bantams a couple of days ago. I had seen her looking as if she was straining but  put it down to an egg issue. Symptoms... in early stages ... sitting down outside and moving as if she was straining.... When I finally brought her inside her comb was alternating between going very dark and looking normal. She was still eating 'special' food. When one wing drooped I thought it might be heart related... Then I listened to her lungs...... they crackled on exhilation. She was on AntiBs for a couple of days, but I guess either I caught it too late or the meds were not effective against whatever it was. Worried now though because her friend, another BF bantam also has the same sounds in her chest. She is on Tylan but I wonder how effective that will be.

Comments

• undautriundautri Senior Member
    hi jules sorry for your loss
    tylan is the best for treating resp problems with the injections working faster than the powder
    chooks will sound weazy with heart problems too so if theres no diuscharge and no coughing then your first instincts coul;d have been right
     are the 2 related ?and is everyone else theyre in contact with ok ?
    hope this one pulls through for you
    xx kath
  • LittlechickLittlechick Senior Member
    Thanks Kath. The two bantams came together. There were 4 once. Lost one maybe to poisoning. There is no discharge,eyes fine and no other sign of a problem. Only on powder (given in capsules) as don't have the liquid, so far she seems to be hanging in there. Will update when there is any change. It's not a wheeze, more of a crackle and only on exhilation (that I can hear with my ear to her chest!). The other two in the house seem fine, they are still normally active.
  • BonnieBonnie Senior Member
    So sorry for your loss. I hope your second girl pulls through. xx
    hows she doing jules
    xx kath
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited May 2016
    Two possibilities come to mind; worms (round or tape), or air sac mites (quite rare I think in poultry).

If it had been just the one hen then I would have said egg issues, but I agree that two is a bit suspicious.
    She is pottering around and not looking terminal though I have been at work today so haven't had time to watch her. Not sure that she is eating as much as she should (so that's something to watch). Still on Tylan
    Not good news this morning.  Brought her in last night and forced her to eat some food as she isn't eating. The course of Tylan was finished. This morning she followed the other two out very slowly and looked wrong. I picked her up and she started to fit/expire. Just like her sister did. She seemed to have gone but I could still feel life in her. Blew air into her but didn't seem to be working. Thought she was gone (her head was limp), but as I could still feel something there carried her inside and held her. She eventually came to. She has now had a jab of Baytril. i couldn't decide what was best for her at this stage, and I think the inevitable will happen today, but we will see. Very frustrating not knowing what the **** is going on with my second one with exactly same symptoms.  :|
    You mentioned poisoning before Jules - what do you think they might have had?

Meanwhile - are the other two eating and drinking normally?
    Strange you should mention poisoning Helen. I was wondering about that last night. Whether they could have found something somewhere. I lost her last night. After almost dying when she came out of the ark she went through the day looking OK sitting/standing on a chair in the kitchen. Didn't touch water or food so I fed her a couple of grapes and bits of tomato. Virtually nothing though. Her poos were watery and green and hardly any. At bedtime I felt she would be badly dehydrated so tried to syringe some water... at which point she did exactly what she had done in the morning when I picked her up, only this time she didn't survive... never experienced anything like this before. I am going to have to have a look at her later for any clues. 2 hens left in that house now. Will give it a good clean out this morning. I really hope this stops now and hasn't spread further into the flock. One little Sussex left with Inky her lilac bantam friend (who is so friendly) in that house now. Sad times.
    So sorry for your loss Jules , still sounds like heart related to me ... thats exactly how Buzz went and the vet had warned me that his heart was failing
    very strange that the two of the same breed went together
    my sister bought six marans once who seemed to be dying one after the other ..post mortem result - their hearts due to in breeding
    hope the cycle stops for you now
    xx kath
    Sorry to hear that you've lost her too Jules.  Hope you do see something on the pm and get some closure.
  • BonnieBonnie Senior Member
    Hi Jules

I'm so sorry to hear that your other girl died too. What a sad time for you. It is so frustrating when you have no answers. Sending love and hugs to you xx
    Buried her today. Didn't have a look - haven't had time to deal with her so it will remain a mystery. Worming the flock today as they are overdue their spring worming.