We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

good vibes needed for Buffy please

undautriundautri Senior Member
just spent from 5.30 until 7 around the vets with Buffy
she hasnt shown any signs of distress - eating well , acting normal but i noticed a mucky bum , went to clean it and found shed prolapsed
she laid yesterday but not today which is perfectly normal so may not have been caused by an egg although i might not of noticed if it had happened yesterday as shes been acting normal
i bathed her but there was a patch on her prolapse that wouldn't come off and i was afraid to handle it too much and tear it so i took her around the vets
 the vet cleaned it and tried pushing it back but it kept coming out ..she gave her a metacam jab hoping that would settle her but that didn't work ..she toyed with the idea of putting a single stitch there with me taking it out in a few hours but i thought that sticking needles in an already sore and inflamed vent may cause further problems ...she put anaethetic cream on her which looked like its going to work but shes still straining when she poos so shes in the hospital pen having peace and quiet and tucking into treats ...hoping that if i keep her in the dark a lot the next few days it may make her broody , although pekins are very prone to broodiness she never has plus she didn't have much of a winter break this year and didn't moult so hasn't had as must rest from laying as her fellow pekins usually do
 Sharon lost two at the beginning of the year who had also come back into lay too soon
 ive got some preparation h and some vetericyn cream coming tomorrow
so good vibes needed please plus helpful tips off those of you who are experienced with this ...ive only had 1 other hen have one ...Betsy and if you remember she shed all her laying bits and bobs with it but has been fine ever since
xx Kath

Comments

• LittlechickLittlechick Senior Member
    Sounds as if you have it all covered. Poor girl. Keeping her in the dark sounds like a plan... with the odd rest break to eat/drink. And keeping it sterile as possible too. Thank goodness you caught it before the others noticed and caused damage by pecking!
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    so far so good ....this morning there was a mess on her bedding - poo and drips of blood but as soon as i opened up the doorway she tried to jump out and her prolapse seems to have gone
     im going to keep her in the dark for a few days and on the tylan just to make sure but shes itching to get outside
     shes due to lay an egg today so im going to have to keep an eye on her and do a lot of praying
    xx kath
    All things crossed here for you. An egg is a curse for her atm. 
  • BonnieBonnie Senior Member
    Sending good vibes for Buffy xxxx
    THANKS GIRLS
    poor little love laid an egg last night - covered in blood and her prolapse was back-all red and sore looking  but by the time id carried her into the kitchen it had receded again
    shes not due to lay today so will have a break til tomorrow evening
    going to give her another bath later ...im petrified incase a fly gets to her
    xx kath
    Is she inside with you Kath?

If not, would you be able to keep her in the kitchen?
    Yes - best thing i ever made was a little cage about 2x1.5 for the 2 faverolles chicks Georgie and Mertyl to move into when the polish hatched  ...been used ever since as a hospital pen in my conservatory  (old lean to) . theres towels over it to keep her in the dark
    some chickens love it in there and dont want to leave but Buffy isnt one of them im afraid ...cant wait to get out bless her...chattering away to me non stop..but too many flies in the garden and shes on tylan for a few more days yet and im hoping the dark will put her off lay if not broody
    xx kath
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited May 2016
    Just caught up with your thread Kath.  Sounds like you've got things controlled as best you can.  I too have experience of hens with some awful prolapses.

Some tips which may help:

1. If there is a scab of any size the hen will do her utmost to try to push it back out, so always try to remove scabs, even if it leaves her skin a bit raw.  

2. Try spraying her vent with cold water now and then, since this will make her instinctively squeeze her muscles in, and help to pull everything together again.

3. Human pile cream can help, because it a) helps to soothe any soreness, and b) helps to shrink any swelling.  Helpful hint: don't tell the chemist you are buying it for a hen, it must be for you:\">

4. To bring her off lay will take at least 16 hours of darkness a day, which is very difficult to achieve and makes you feel so mean, but worth bearing in mind as a last resort.  (That and an implant if course, if you have a spare £100+)!

5.  If there is no improvement after a couple of days, then it's worth considering bandaging her.  This requires good supervision (which I know you would give) as she needs poop breaks etc.  Let me know if I can explain further!

Hx
    The hemorrhoid cream is such a brilliant idea Helen!
    :-j I tried to spell that word first, but wasn't as clever as you Jules!
    youll notice i said preparation h instead of hemorrhoid -always thought there was an "a" in it but it must have been shrunk out
    her crop is very slow at the moment ...is it possible that caused the prolapse??????????????
    maggots for brekkies today and ive got some liquid paraffin to go on her sultanas later
    xx kath
    I tried it with an 'a' too and it didn't look right!  It seems there are simply piles of ways to spell it!

I doubt if the sluggish crop has caused the prolapse Kath.  Hope the LP works OK.

Hx
    The crop has shifted already thanks to the maggots
    Failed to stop her laying again today but there was hardly any blood on this one .....few blood spots on the yolk though so keeping going with the tylan
    Lillybeth laid an egg today ...nice green one ..thought she may have retired this year seeing as she's 7 now ..she's early too ..doesn't usually start til well into summer...then finishes early autumn!!!
    Xx kath
    Good news you are making progress with her now.  The spelling.. I thought there was an a too as in haem.. but apparently not!
    edited May 2016
    Buffy has been doing really well and i had intended putting her back out today but her legs were very weak so i kept her in ...good job i did as the prolapse is back
    ive tried pushing it back in but can feel a largish egg there so ive just smothered her in prep h and spayed her with vetmicin and im waiting for the egg to be laid before i do anything else to her
     strange thing is that she feels much better with it out than in but i suppose thats just due to the egg being there
    xx kath
    up date - she laid her egg and the prolapse went straight back in ...shes still a bit wobbly on her legs though but is eating well
    Poor little thing Kath.  It sounds like an implant would really help her, although they do take about three weeks to kick in.  Here's hoping she goes broody instead!
  • BonnieBonnie Senior Member

Hope she picks up soon Kath.  We have had a lot of good progress with implants, I just wish they weren't so damn expensive :-(      
    ho much are they Bonnie?
    i thought she may have been going broody by the way shes acting and calling chicks when she eats but not there yet
    i put her on the patio yesterday but when the dog barked she just flopped down and tried using her wings to get away
    heres a vid of her later in the greenhouse -flopped again but hard to tell why really - sunbathing, dustbathing or legs given out https://plus.google.com/u/0/115937642924342264831/posts/8WHicwqNEyo?pid=6287987306767344706&oid=115937642924342264831
    prolapse back again this morning - no sign of egg
    x kath

Maybe a calcium boost will help?  Something like Zolcal (liquid calcium with vitamin D3) would be ideal.  Vetark or Northern Parrots usually despatch quickly.

Update
     well she laid on 24th then stopped til yesterday morning so had 4 days off- no sign of a prolapse
     i was hoping she was going in to a moult as there were 3/4 feathers in her box but she laid again this afternoon , again no prolapse but shes acting odd/ broody
    ive been putting her out in the afternoons and shes just got stronger and stronger - back to her normal self
    i went to check on her about an hour ago and eventually found her in the main coop with the very broody Sally Sioux and Bluebell - in fact she was under Sally Sioux !
    i brought her in and put her in her cage and she started chattering and pecking at the hay so i gave her an egg and she pulled it under her ...then she laid but is standing over the eggs rather than sitting on them but is busily pulling the hay from under the jaye cloths ive been using for her
    Although shes stopped prolapsing id really like her to go broody for a better rest
    xx kath
    That sounds like good news. Did she have a wobble in the video or did she stumble on something? Keep an eye out for an infection from the prolapse. It does sound as if she is toying with being broody so hopefully you can encourage her! That's funny really, I have so many broodies here (6 - well 5 now because I had to give Phoebe chicks again grrrr. She was losing weight and my naughty cage wasn't having any effect at all on her) that are being a real pain. Still, it's natures way for them to rest (as well as the long winter one of course!). Hope she continues to do well and a big well done on getting the prolapse back where it should be!
    oops spoke too soon ...prolapse back this morning when she was doing a poo ...how come she was fine laying the last two eggs but prolapsed when doing a poo - pushed it back successfully and no sign of an egg  ...do you think she may have a blockage?
    kath xx

No, I don't think there's a blockage, it's just one of those things Kath!
    Guess there is a weakness there now... perhaps if you keep pushing it back it will eventually tighten up again.
    edited June 2016
    she had a break from prolapsing for a few days then it happened again 4 days ago- still not happening when she lays but in between  ...im under the impression that the eggs are shifting things inside because her prolapses are full of poo with the opening on the side ...like a pocket ,so im giving her an internal after each egg in the hope that will stop her poo getting jammed up ...so far so good - can you see this causing any problems for her though ? ..just thought it was a way of preventing future prolapses.
    apart from not liking me "digitising" her shes on top form and ironically the only one in the old flock actually laying at the moment
    xx kath

If that's working for her, then I don't see a problem Kath.  Last year we regularly had to keep helping Violet pass some huge eggs, which often got stuck quite a way up.  We were convinced we'd done her damage sometimes, but leaving it would have killed her.  We've had similar problems with others but usually more short-term.
    Just clearing the poop tube doesn't involve going too far in, and should only cause a little righteous indignation!
    the good news is shes learned to come into the conservatory when she wants to lay -clever chook-
    bad news is ive got rubber gloves and a tube of preparation h permanently on my washing machine ...bit off putting when someone calls in for a cuppa 8-}
    x kath
    ~O) :-?