We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

RIP Nancy

Another beautiful girl falls foul to the dreaded EYP :-(

Rest in peace our beautiful Nancy.........always on the go ......never missed the chance to sunbathe :-)

Comments

• BonnieBonnie Senior Member
    2015.05.30 Nancy sunbathe
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    oh Bonnie im so sorry to hear about Nancy today.
    you really are having a run of bad luck -3 in how many weeks?
    dont what ever you do let it put you off rescuing though ...theres plenty more chooks waiting for a brilliant carer such as yourself
    thinking of you
    xx kath
    Thanks Kath
    It is really tough as, having lost 3 girls in 2 weeks, our 13 year old cat is now ill. 
    I think we may have a little break in adopting rescue girls but no doubt the gap won't be long as we love having them. xxx
  • LittlechickLittlechick Senior Member
    edited May 2016
    Sorry to hear that Nancy has gone to the biggest hen party ever. Good to hear that  you are going to have more rescue ladies though. They may not last as long as pure breeds, but they are so rewarding and you know that you have made a difference to their hard lives. When I bring rescues home, I do it knowing that they may not have that long, so it's an acceptance that any time with them is an added bonus. xx Really hope that you are able to find out what is wrong with your cat and find a treatment to help. xx
    is it only rescues you have Bonnie?maybe a couple of pure breeds would be a good addition
    so sorry to hear about your cat -its so hard when a pet is ill ...all you can do is hope and i hope she makes a speedy recovery for you
    xx kath
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    Poor Bonnie.  I've been there and know how it feels.  I've wondered if those ladies would have been better off uninterrupted on their journey to the slaughterhouse, and d'you know what?  Well - let's just say I have 7 at the moment!

I know you've also had pure breeds in the past too, and like me, you've discovered that they are not without their problems too.  I've had some very weird problems with pure breeds, including egg issues.  And my longest lived hens?  Hybrid egg layers, two of whom lived to 9 years, and one to 8 years.  Go figure......

Thinking of you and what a wonderful foster mum you've been to your ladies.
    Hxxxxxx

Thanks Jules, we do love having them.  We try and get our heads round the fact that, without being in our family, they would have gone to Hennie heaven long ago and not is a nice way :-(
    Our cat has been kept in at the vet hospital. She is doing better and is on AB's for a stomach bug.  The vet (also our poultry vet) rang tonight and she has started eating again after 7 days :-) 
    We are considering getting a season ticket to see Robin our vet ;-) 
    xxx

Kath we did start out with pure breeds to get used to keeping chickens.  It is something we are considering again alongside more rescues.    We are hooked! xxx

Helen - 7 rescues - wooohoo!  Where do you get yours from?  Photos please xxx
    edited May 2016
    The best I can manage is 6 in the same pic (taken last October).  Here goes:

Violet (darkest one at back) was one of 3 from a local commercial farm - rescued at 90 weeks and just celebrated her two year rescue date! 
    Millie (doing the samba) and Betsy (big comb) were on a lorry headed for slaughter, when the driver crashed and thousands of hens ended up on the M62 (many dead & dying).  When I heard some were headed for Norfolk I just had to have some.   and this week is the second year since the crash. Millie has a fluid issue and not too long to go now.:(  Betsy off lay for reasons unknown.
    Poppy, Rose, Petal & Sunshine - rescues from last June from BHWT. 

DSCN2177
  • LittlechickLittlechick Senior Member
    Great photo Helen and... you have / had grass!! I love the look of a mixed flock. We have a big mixture too Bonnie. Bantams and LF, rescues and pure breeds. It might be an idea to get a couple of point of lay ladies with the idea that they will be around for longer. (Though as Helen says, you really never know who is going to hang on in there). It's hard getting your head around their generally short longevity, but the joy that both they and we experience even for such a limited time, is surely worth it. When I think of the fate of the others that are left behind in the sheds...
    We still have grass Jules, but only just started cutting it since they keep it so well grazed during early Spring!   ~:>
    Great looking girls Helen :-)
    I remember that crash and how many local people helped catch the girls that survived - amazingly, if I remember right, a lot did survive - wonderful fate stepping in.
    Sorry to hear Mille has the dreaded fluid issue - bless her. I hope she enjoys this wonderful sunshine. Our Mabel is off lay too. She's still running around like a mad chicken but we all know too well that all of a sudden that can change :-(
    We have grass too! We always joke that our new girls look like they are scratching around in their slippers as they are so gentle.
    Jules - we keep toying with the idea of getting some point of lay ladies.
    I came home tonight and sat in the garden in the sunshine with OH, a glass of white wine in one hand and gazed adoringly at our 3 remaining girls oh, and our cat is home from the vet too - yipppeee
    havent had grass in my garden since Georgie was a spring chicken
    lovely pics
    xx kath