We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Mornin

Roy and VickyRoy and Vicky Junior Member
edited November 2012 in "Off Your Chest"
Hi all, just wanted to chime in and say hi. I found the forums as I was searching about feeding cat food to chickens and stumbled across these forums.

Roy and I are pretty much first time chicken owners. he had some with one of his brothers. Now that we are together we now have two cats (mine for 9 years) Shed and Mittens, 2 calves a black angus steer named Well Duh Mass, and a hereford short horn cross named Minnie Pearl. 24 chickens, buffs, sexlinks, and bardrocks which I'm not naming LOL and 1 sexlink rooster named Herkamur (Roy named him).

We got most of the chicken coop insulated over this past weekend, and if it warms up enough I'll be out working on it again. I said I was going to use the maps from this past summers forest fires to wallpaper the coop with as a joke with the commanders that were stationed at the airport I was working at, but I'm seriously considering using the feed sacks from the cows and chickens foods to cover the paneling we put up over the insulation as a wind barrier. Their coop is about 30x12 I'm guessing. Roy drives garbage truck and scored some styrofoam insulation a guy was piling up to toss out during a remodel, he brought it home and we used it double thick in the walls and bought a package of R11 bats for about $60. We have lots of styrofoam left over which i'm going to do the upper part of the coop with and a few bats of the R11 left that we'll use to cover some of the 7 windows for the winter!

I'm working on a design for a door for them to go in and out of over the winter so the big door won't be open all the time and their water won't freeze up and they'll be warmer.

So that's us for now. I'm glad I found the forum and look forward to lots of information from the more experienced then us!!!

Comments

• undautriundautri Senior Member
    edited November 2012
    sorry- ive only just noticed your post - dont often look down here .
    A belated welcome to the forum then :o
    lovely to hear about your pets- you must have a busy time of it ! ive just got a dog, a cat and 6 chooks and they keep me busy enough
    sounds like youve been busy getting the coop ready for winter - hope the girls appreciate it (and Herkamur) youll have to post a link to some photos for us especially of your rooster and the 2 calves
    look forward to hearing more about you
    kathxx
  • MEGANMEGAN Senior Member
    edited November 2012
    Hi welcome to the forum.
    It would be really great to see pictures of your set up and of course your pets.
    Chickens tend to be a bit addictive I started with four and now have 2 plus. You have been warned
  • sandiesbrahmassandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    edited November 2012
    A very warm welcome from me, too. I tend only to look at a few sections and missed your post,too.

There's lots of help to be had on the site and the odd (in my case VERY odd) shoulder to cry on when needed....and is seems a lot of us have needed that recently.

Just a thought with your coop insulation....do allow for ventilation somewhere near the top where the wind can't get in. It sounds as though your winters are VERY cold.

Welcome again,

Sandie