We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

starting Small Business

Mary1Mary1 Junior Member
edited November 2012 in Employment/Jobs
Hello all,
i dont know if i have put this in the correct place or not but im looking for some advice.

ive kept chickens for awhile and have also bred some at home very successfully :)

i live on a family farm with my future hubby and there is a poultry unit coming up for rental on our farm at the beginning of april next year. i would really love to begin my own business start off small by breeding a selling chickens and then maybe going onto a larger scale for egg production and maybe meat ( if this happens it will be free range) but i am going to be honest its all fine and dandy keeping chickens in my garden but im not at all sure where to start when i comes to larger scale.

can anyone help me? any information will be greatly received.

Mary :)

Comments

• solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited November 2012
    Hi Mary - you may get one or two replies on here but I would recommend you post your thread on "producers & vets". Have you thought about having a chat with the person who has been running the poultry unit?
  • LittlechickLittlechick Senior Member
    edited November 2012
    Hi Mary, would you be happy with the regular culls you would have to have if running an egg business? I have thought about setting up a slightly larger scale enterprise myself, but I know I would not cull my older hens so it wouldn't be viable.
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited November 2012
    Jules - haven't you got a good hen rescue in your area who you could work with?