We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

sick orpington hen

mamidnightmamidnight Junior Member
edited September 2012 in "Off Your Chest"
Hi everyone, I am new to this site and am in desperate need of some advice, I have a very sick hen who has been a bit quite yesterday, I just found her sitting on the floor of her run shivering, she feels warm to touch and just wants to sit and sleep. I have isolated her in and trying to see if she is eating, I don't think so. I have checked her for lice and they have been wormed recently. I think she is a very sick girl and don't know what I can do for her.
Thankyou

Comments

• undautriundautri Senior Member
    edited September 2012
    hi
    just spotted your post
    sounds like shes running a temperature which possibly means an infection of some sort so if this is the case the best thing to do is get her to a vet for antibiotics
    withour knowing what other symptoms she has it could be any number of things
    check her eyes if runny or wbubbly ..is she sneezing or coughing
    check her crop if shes not eating it should be empty if full and hard she may have an impaction ...if soft and full of liquid could be sour crop
    also if shes a laying hen whats her production like ast the mo ? check her vent for discharge
    also keep an eye on her poo
    come back woth more details and hopefully one of us can help
    kath