We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Veterinary colleges need to "get real" about hens!

solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
edited August 2012 in "Off Your Chest"
Too many times I come across well-intentioned chicken keepers who take their hen to the vets only to find that the vet has less knowledge than they do, and what's more is only too happy to charge for that lack of knowledge. The owners then turn to forums and such to try to find better advice.

Vet colleges need to get real! More and more people are keeping hens and what's more they are happy to pay for expert advice to help their sick chickens.

And you vets - if you don't know what's wrong with a chicken then refer your client to a vet that does!!!

Just had to get that off my chest!

Comments

• LittlechickLittlechick Senior Member
    edited February 2012
    oh YES Well Said!!!! Totally agree with you. So many more people are keeping hennies now and the vets just don't seem to have kept up with demand. I know it is possible to go on short courses for them to gen up. Very frustrating for the first time owner who thinks the vet will know what the problem is.....
  • monkeymummymonkeymummy Senior Member
    edited February 2012
    Hear hear!!!
  • cloudy.thoughtscloudy.thoughts Junior Member
    edited February 2012
    As new hen owner I've thankfully no experience of this yet, but is there any way to tell beforehand if a vet is up to the task? Some qualification or rating perhaps?

Or, is there some question we could ask that would test the vet? Something they are only likely to know if they have first hand hen experience?
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited February 2012
    Well done you for thinking of being prepared;)

You could start with the Chicken Vet website to see if you have one near you.(link below)
    It is also worth just phoning around vets, especially "large animal" vets to see what their reaction is. Alternatively - try posting a thread on the "Health & Welfare" section of this forum to see if a member can recommend a good chicken vet in your area. Good luck - and hope you won't need one too soon!

http://chickenvet.co.uk/associated-practices/index.aspx
  • papizzapapizza Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    Speaking of which, Littlechick, was intending to pm you to ask if you have a good vet in the Worthing-ish area, in case we get more hens when we move. I'd feel very at sea if there wasn't one around - even if we never use them, I'd like to know they're there!

P x
  • PenniePennie Junior Member
    edited June 2012
    I know exactly what you mean, but if any of you live near Malvern, my vet is pretty good with hens and is fab with dogs and cats. John Hope-Ryan, Masefield Veterinary Practice.

When I first took a hen to John last year, he was the first to admit that his knowledge on chucks was limited to the basics he'd been taught at uni, but since then, he has seen a lot more and he says he's learning all the time.

I was expecting a bill the size of the National Debt after he's seen Señorita 4 times, given her 4 shots of a/bs and done a minor op, but his bill was less than £45. At least he doesn't pretend to know everything and he is always prepared to learn and try new ways.
  • pefpef Junior Member
    edited June 2012
    We have a vet that will help with our chicken casualties. We live in rochford in essex. They seem ok . But it took a lot of calling around to find them, most vets in this area say sorry dont do chickens...

Perhaps someone with the time and knowledge should set up a forum list where people can report good or bad poultry vets...
  • PenniePennie Junior Member
    edited June 2012
    That's a good idea.