We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Preserving Eggs for Farmers Market

EvelynEvelyn Junior Member
edited May 2007 in Market Place
Hi,
Does anyone out there have any bright ideas for preserving eggs for our local Farmers Market. I already pickle them in wine vinegars and am thinking about smoking them as well. Any more delicious possibilities for added value and interest

Comments

• twizletwizle Junior Member
    edited May 2007
    :D hi am new to this site, i thought, as it is getting warmer and people will be hungrey on the day, why not make mini salads, with potato, egg and ither salad- cream or mayo, toped with salad in pots if you can get some.don't forget plastic forks.
    or just an idea. fill baggetts.you could make quiche. hope this helps.
  • EvelynEvelyn Junior Member
    edited May 2007
    Hi Twizle

Thanks for replying and I hope somebody else at the market will take up that mantle - we have only recently gotten underway. I am still interested in variations on the preserving angle as I can't cope with more "last minute stuff", so anybody out there with any more ideas please post them. I have duck, hen and quail and they are all laying like little trojans.

Evelyn
  • twizletwizle Junior Member
    edited May 2007
    hi, sorry i could'nt help. hope some one else can. if i hear of anything else i will post a relpy.
  • pegasuzukpegasuzuk Junior Member
    edited May 2007
    Hi,
    You can preserve eggs whole and uncooked in their shells in "Waterglass" which is a solution of water and soluble sodium silicate - normally the best place to source it is local chemists or old fashioned ironmongers.

If you want to cook/bake but need a reasonably long shelf life you could opt for meringues or preserves like lemon curd?

Worth getting hold of the book - hens in the garden eggs in the kitchen - full of lots of good ideas about what to make with eggs

Hope this helps

Caroline