We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

I hate foxes

Ellen2303Ellen2303 Junior Member
edited November 2011 in "Off Your Chest"
Well, we had this beautiful white rooster and then the fox ate it, but luckily we had one of his offspring that was also a white rooster so we put him with the hens and now he has disappeared. I blame the fox that has been hanging around:mad: And this morning I had to get up at six o'clock because a fox was terrorising our chooks, but luckliy we have a great guard dog and she chased it away and we also have an alpaca which just stood there (great help he was, but he is still gorgeous). Foxes are so annoying! The last fox killed a number of our chooks and gave our dog mange which cost a lot to get checked out and fixed and the poor darling had sores all over her.
Foxes really drive me up the wall and the worst part is their not even ment to be in Australia:mad:

Comments

• sandiesbrahmassandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    edited November 2011
    I have to echo your thoughts.

My hubby forgot to fasten the coop one night a couple of years ago and the fox killed 6 hens and ripped a cock to shreds (he survived but needed a lot of stitches). They are ruthless killers.

We suffer with the additional insult in that some well-meaning but very misguided townies catch the urban foxes and release them into the countryside. This is unfair to us (of course), but also to the urban foxes who are unafraid of people and are generally relying on feeding from the back of MacDonalds etc. In the country they then try (and often succeed) in killing farm chickens, but they are bold and a lot of farmers have guns, AND we have a hunt nearby (Not that I personally feel the way foxes are ripped apart by the dogs can ever be justified).

Sandie
  • LittlechickLittlechick Senior Member
    edited November 2011
    I know that lots of people on here will not agree with me but.... Ellen can't you shoot the fox or get someone else to do it for you? The fox knows that your property contains 'ready meals' now and it won't forget.... you either have to protect your flock 100% which, as we all know, isn't realistic sometimes, or deal with it... apologies to all those who feel we shouldn't kill them, but I know that my flock comes first! x
  • MEGANMEGAN Senior Member
    edited November 2011
    very much of the same opinion if you can get someone to shoot the fox as he will probably keep coming back. When his boss had problems OH had to go out and shoot the fox not something he enjoys but a necessity to protect the hens. I dont have a problem with the shooting of foxes but strongly object to hunting with dogs.
  • LittlechickLittlechick Senior Member
    edited November 2011
    Agreed Megan. There should be no pleasure in the killing of an animal that has to be controlled. It should be done quickly and cleanly, with regret, but if there is a need it has to be done.
  • Ellen2303Ellen2303 Junior Member
    edited November 2011
    Unfortunately we have no guns available, the last fox we had hanging around dad hit it on the head with a pole, which I did not like at all, but it had to be done it was causing to much damage to our chooks and our dog :( I agree they should be killed quickly and without pain.
  • ConorDConorD Junior Member
    edited November 2011
    hate foxes two have had several birds taken have learned my lesson though have a gun so im fine