We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

If You're not part of the Solution ...

Hen PeckedHen Pecked Senior Member
edited November 2011 in "Off Your Chest"
Here I go with my soap box again ...
I just wondered how many people have thought about why there are so many battery farms.
They supply a market .... because so much food is supplied cheaply to the general public and trade, this is their excuse for using the very cruel from of farming.
If everyone stopped using products likely to include battery eggs then surely the market would drop and hopefully so would the problem.
Please think about this when you are next shopping .... pies are often glazed with egg, quiche is obvious, cake (my favourite) often contains non free range egg, Yorkshire Puddings, merinque, mayonnaise, salad cream ... the list really is endless.
Remember - If you're not part of the solution, you are part of the cause.

Comments

• solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited November 2011
    Never a truer word spoken! I find the biggest problem is that so many people just don't cook much anymore so they are not even aware that egg may be in their food item.
    Had to stop OH buying beef and ham paste the other day. I said "it's bound to contain battery hen" - in disbelief he checked the ingredients and .... 8% chicken:mad:
  • Hen PeckedHen Pecked Senior Member
    edited November 2011
    It's surprising what people are not aware of ... As I don't eat meat or other dairy food it is easier for me, I am used to reading all ingredients.
  • sandiesbrahmassandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    edited November 2011
    I agree wholeheartedly.
    I don't eat meat, milk always from a reputable organic local dairy, make cakes with my own eggs etc.
    Most times, avoidance of certain foods is easy, but gelatine capsules on many medicines and animal feeds remain an issue.
    I am always amazed that a number of types of sheep food proudly boast 'with fish oils' on them. So when did you last see a sheep eating fish? Needless to see my spoilt woolly friends have the vegetable derived stuff only.

Sandie
  • LittlechickLittlechick Senior Member
    edited November 2011
    Agree, but no matter how hard we try, there will be hidden battery farmed eggs in certain products and it will NOT be labelled. It's time that consumers had the choice and foods containing egg in whatever form (that dried powdered egg from battery farms that is in so much processed food) are fully labelled. It's disgraceful that manufacturers can get away with using this product. Name and shame!
    edited November 2011
    Perhaps we should start a petition ... You never know it might work! When I ate egg in bought food I tended to look at ingredients and if it said 'egg' then didn't buy as most, if not all manufacturers state if the egg is free range. The Co-op own brand stuff seems to be free range egg.
  • sandiesbrahmassandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    edited November 2011
    Co-op has set the trend for using only free range eggs in their own products and is largely an ethical trader (lots of Fairtrade stuff etc). Other supermarkets have followed their lead to a greater, or in some cases, lesser extent.

Unfortunately ethically sourced, organic, Fairtrade etc. is always more expensive than the farmed, confined and fed-the-kind-of-rubbish waste that is super cheap.

As individuals we can do our utmost (As a certain supermarket would say "Every little helps"....pity they are NOT the most ethical of traders or they might come up with "Every little helps the environment")

I DO wish the Government would adopt a less spineless approach

Sandie
    edited November 2011
    I agree Sandie but sometimes (in fact always) it takes pressure and action by the populace. We all need to be aware of the reasons this type of farming (not only hens by the way) is allowed and until people stop buying the stuff and preferably start petitioning (both the Government and the RSPCA) for allowing this then it will carry on.... Okay soap box put away for today .... well until later maybe :rolleyes: