We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Suddenly sick chicken HELP!

mstlacemstlace Junior Member
edited December 2011 in Producers and Vets
One of chickens from Easter is suddenly listless and has watery stools. She was fine yesterday. None of the other chickens are showing any symptoms. I am trying to find out what is wrong with her and how to help her. As these are my son's pets.

Comments

• mollydollymollydolly Senior Member
    edited October 2011
    chickens will do the odd watery poo, are they all watery or just one that you saw? they can produce quite a variety.

Is it showing any other signs of poor health? listless? huddled or fluffed up. Is it eating? properly eating....watch closely because they can pretend to eat doing all the barging in for food pecking around but not actually picking anything up.
  • mstlacemstlace Junior Member
    edited October 2011
    My son puts the chickens out every morning in their yard. She acted fine until about 3 hours later when he noticed her laying down. She has been listed, feathers fluffed up, and not eating or drinking. We did separate her from the other about 2 hours after watching her. She has been this way for about 6 hours now. I could not find anything online that was helpful--since I only had symptoms. The diarrhea was normal color with water.
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited October 2011
    Try some basics:

Check her crop - is it full of fluid or very hard?

Is she in lay? - If so when did she lay her last egg? She may be egg bound and need help fast. When a hen is egg bound often they can't pass normal faeces because the egg is in the way, so the poos could be an indication of this. If you think she's egg bound you can try syringing some food grade oil into her vent and keeping her in a warm place until she passes it, or try giving her a warm bath (water up to her "belly") for at least 15 minutes, but again - keep her warm during and after.
  • tee23uktee23uk Junior Member
    edited October 2011
    if you have tylan try syringeing a bit down her if she picked up a bug of some sort it pays to use some antibiotic down fast give for 2 or 3 days 2 times a day if it is a bug that will clear it fast but as the last reply make sure she not trying to lay
  • mstlacemstlace Junior Member
    edited October 2011
    Unfortunately, she pasted away today while I was at work. :( My son said she never did lay an egg although the other chickens of the same have just starting laying eggs about 3 weeks ago.

Thank you for all you help it gave me extra knowledge that I could not find.
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited October 2011
    So sorry we couldn't help you in time. Hopefully you will not need help again too soon but if you do want to keep in touch, please post your thread on the "Health & Welfare" section because not all of us check the "Producers & Vets" section, this probably explains the shortage of quick responses which we can be so good at on here:)
    Hope your son is OK.