We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

running out of ideas

jacobpjacobp Junior Member
edited January 2012 in Producers and Vets
i started my chickens on antibiotics for what i thought was coryza or mycoplasma dont know what causes those but now the one that was getting better took aturn for the worse the swelling arround his eye doubled over night since starting durmycin-10 and the other sick one is getting worse i dont want to loose all my girls .all this started after i introduced a new one to the group but it shows no signs of being sick i dont know whether to get rid of the new one and the 2 sick ones to save the rest of them .the sick ones are isolated already but im worried about the others

Comments

• jacobpjacobp Junior Member
    edited September 2011
    ive heard some chickens can be carriers the new one i introduced to the group is supposedly one and a half yr old my others are less than a year old . my sickest ones eye area is now th size of a ping pong ball and snot in his nose the other only has alittle snot in its nose but its getting weaker she stopped moving arround except when you get near her and she has the same puffed up look the other got at the begining of it being sick
  • mollydollymollydolly Senior Member
    edited September 2011
    any sneezing? discharge from the beak? you said the eyes are swollen do they have bubbles on them at all? that would be mycoplasma. A hen that has had it previously will be a carrier, the new hen may have brought it in but now it is in your flock they will all have it.....it can be one of those weird ones that they have all the time but only succumb to when they are weak or poorly.
    edited September 2011
    yes there are bubbles. and runny noses i just started them on antibs their all showing signs now im so sad . once their off antibs are the eggs are ok or isthe mycoplasm DANGEROUS TO HUMANS ? what can i do to keep it from flaring up again?
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited September 2011
    It is very unlikely to be harmful to you.
    Usually the antibiotic prescribed for mycoplasma is tylan. This can be injected or put in the water. It sounds like you definately need to get some to put in the water to treat all your hens, and maybe injections for the very poorly one.

Here's some info that might be helpful:

http://poultrykeeper.com/chickens/health/mycoplasma-gallisepticum.html
    edited September 2011
    one of them has a ping pong ball sized knot under her eye keeping her eye swolen shut .they show all the other symptoms of mycoplasma . but that wasnt one of the symptoms listed
    edited September 2011
    im using durmycin-10 a tetracycline not tylan will that work? thats all that i could find over the counter
  • LittlechickLittlechick Senior Member
    edited October 2011
    jacob, you need to get something strong from the vet. Check this link
    http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/page22.htm

I would get baytril injections asap for the worst hens and take vet advice for the others. Infectious so you have done the right thing in isolating the sick birds. However, it is too late to move the new one to a new home - once you have this, if that is what it is, the flock could be carriers. This is the same as mycoplasma. I have had either myco or Coryza in my birds and it has not been back since the first bird had it (swollen eye), was medicated and recovered.

This is serious though, please get some Baytril because although other ABs may work (I think erythromycin may be one) they will not be as effective as baytril. Good luck.
  • earthmama24earthmama24 Junior Member
    edited January 2012
    If your finding that conventional methods just aren't getting the job done or you want a more natural approach, you may want to check out the following link. It discusses natural remedies for treating coryza but this remedy can be used for just about any illness. I have personally used it for coryza, possible cocciodosis (however you spell it) and parasites. I have never used a dewormer with my chickens but have never had any issues with parasites. All my birds are extremely healthy. Check it out: http://www.earthmama24.blogspot.com/2011/03/natural-treatment-of-infectious-coryza.html

Best wishes on a quick recovery!
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited January 2012
    earthmama - I'm sure you will name your chickens in future, you just won't be able to help yourself;)