We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Very Poorly Chicken - Please Help!

CarleyCarley Junior Member
edited September 2011 in "Off Your Chest"
My bantam is about a year old and has been very sick today. She will barely move, has her eyes closed and is extremely week. She has had mites and hasn't lay for a while, so I thought this might be it and gave her some oil and a bath. No improvement, her crop is now swollen too. We lost another chicken to similar symptoms within a few hours. Does anyone know what might be wrong?

Comments

• mollydollymollydolly Senior Member
    edited September 2011
    Is the crop hard? despite her not eating? or in the morning as well as night? it might be blocked?
  • CarleyCarley Junior Member
    edited September 2011
    thank you for replying molly. i've only noticed the crop today and it seems to be squidgy. she has been drifting in and out of conciousness so i'm worried that if i turn her upside down to try and unblock it (if it is in fact a crop that's the problem) she may choke. she has been this way all day. should i try to unblock it even though she is this weak?
  • CarleyCarley Junior Member
    edited September 2011
    we sadly lost her this morning. going to blitz the coup for mites again and hope our remaining chook is ok.