We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

'Sanctuary' --- it was not!

Hen PeckedHen Pecked Senior Member
edited November 2011 in "Off Your Chest"
Just a little warning here for anyone fooled by some less honest people offering 'sanctuary' for domestic/farm animals. I rehomed my four beautiful cockerels to a fairly local 'sanctuary' (not registered as such). I arranged to meet the owner and she took my birds home with her in my cat carriers ..thank goodness!
I went 4 days later to collect them and when I saw the filthy housing and poor conditions.. I brought them all home. They all had coughs and were obviously suffering from stress.
I saw no water out, poorly hens just left out and they were ranging with pigs, rheas and other animals.. Bad experience ... I should have checked out the place BEFORE letting them go!
I MUST ADD THAT I DON'T IMAGINE ALL SANCTUARIES ARE THE SAME. IT WAS MY FAULT FOR BELIEVING THE INFORMATION I WAS GIVEN RATHER THAN CHECKING IT OUT MYSELF.

Comments

• LittlechickLittlechick Senior Member
    edited August 2011
    Bad experience. I would always say that before you go to a rescue centre, call and speak to the owners. Then go with your animals and ask to have a look around. If the owner is reticent and would rather you didn't walk around, don't leave your animals there. They should have nothing to hide and you should feel comfortable with the place where you are leaving your animals. I have rehomed 3 boys recently to a rescue near Chichester. It was a small site, but the animals were well cared for and looked healthy and happy. I would recommend it to anyone, but please be generous with a donation to help them to keep the place running! Jules
  • sandiesbrahmassandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    edited August 2011
    It would be a good idea to let folk know what area in the country you are,Hen Pecked, and folk could pm you to find out where not to go for 'animal sanctuary'. Some folk 'name and shame', but you may not wish to do this.

Sandie
  • Hen PeckedHen Pecked Senior Member
    edited August 2011
    Well, I live in Lincolnshire near to Louth and it was approximately 20 miles from here in a North Westerly direction. If anyone want to PM me I will of course give more information.
  • BaltiAngelBaltiAngel Senior Member
    edited October 2011
    thaks for the reminder of that hen pecked im no where near but it does happen, i got caught out getting my brahmas so i learn that lesson early on.....its a shame all folk don't care as much as we do....
    L:)
    edited October 2011
    If anyone can suggest a GOOD sanctuary or permanent home near Louth I am still on the look out for the Buff's and Arthur the Orpington Banty cockerel.
    edited October 2011
    I can't believe the woman .. she is still advertising on Preloved and at the same time offering to sell you a pig, feed it up for you then slaughter it (sorry if that word upsets) and give you the pig in bits for the freezer!! Is this a place you would send your pets?
    It might be me but I find it unbelievable that she can have such double standards. :confused:
  • BaltiAngelBaltiAngel Senior Member
    edited October 2011
    I probasbly think its just business for her, rather than a love of animals...whatever makes her cash!
    L:)
    edited October 2011
    Perhaps she is running a pig farming business and that helps to pay for the rescue side of things?
    edited October 2011
    Like I said, it is probably me but how could you take your pet pig for example to her and believe she would not sell it for meat? A day after I took my boys in to her she was advertising cockerels for meat. What I don't understand is how can people differentiate about animals being kept as pets or killed for meat? A pet hen or cockerel is surely no different to any hen or cockerel, they all have characters as we know to our great joy.
    Ah well like I said it is probably me.
    edited October 2011
    Now that I do not understand.... cockerels for meat? No one in their right mind would rehome their boys to somewhere that sold poultry for the table!
    edited October 2011
    She homes pigs, sheep anything really. I just don't get how it works. Glad to say my boys came straight home once I found out and saw the place they were housed.
  • papizzapapizza Senior Member
    edited November 2011
    Would it be an idea to report these people to the RSPCA? I don't mind being the one to do it if you don't feel it's something you'd want to do. You can pm me the details and I'll get straight on it. It sounds outrageous, and needs investigating.