We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Wing damage at slaughter on CornishXRocks

Rick StanleyRick Stanley Junior Member
edited August 2011 in Producers and Vets
Hi, This is my first post. Not sure if this is the right area for this topic. If not I apologize.
I have been raising cornishx's outside in chicken tractors for a two years. This year I have had lots more dislocated wing joints. Anybody else having this?
Thank You!
Rick

Comments

• Rick StanleyRick Stanley Junior Member
    edited August 2011
    I raise them up from day-old chicks to 7 weeks and butcher them myself for sale at the local farmers markets. I use stainless steel cones and sever the head with a big knife. I have a 40 gallon stainless steel, propane fired, scalder and a Featherman Pro tub picker. Right from the start, I had wing issues. The joint where the wing connects to the body would dislocate. Sometimes it would pop right out through the skin. Other times there isn't a dislocation but tearing or bruising in the "armpit" area. I thought it was the picker at first, but further investigation showed that it was happening while the bird is alive. I was absolutely mortified by this. Ever since, I have struggled to handle the birds has gently as I possibly can.
    I still get bad wings and now am considering new theories..........maybe it's a deficiency of some sort??? Maybe the theory that excessive wing flapping is causing it, is wrong?? Maybe my efforts to prevent flapping by restraining the birds is CAUSING the damage?? Anyways, last batch of 25 birds had 10 that were at least bruised or torn in armpit. Any thought???
    edited August 2011
    I raise them up from day-old chicks to 7 weeks and butcher them myself for sale at the local farmers markets. I use stainless steel cones and sever the head with a big knife. I have a 40 gallon stainless steel, propane fired, scalder and a Featherman Pro tub picker. Right from the start, I had wing issues. The joint where the wing connects to the body would dislocate. Sometimes it would pop right out through the skin. Other times there isn't a dislocation but tearing or bruising in the "armpit" area. I thought it was the picker at first, but further investigation showed that it was happening while the bird is alive. I was absolutely mortified by this. Ever since, I have struggled to handle the birds has gently as I possibly can.
    I still get bad wings and now am considering new theories..........maybe it's a deficiency of some sort??? Maybe the theory that excessive wing flapping is causing it, is wrong?? Maybe my efforts to prevent flapping by restraining the birds is CAUSING the damage?? Anyways, last batch of 25 birds had 10 that were at least bruised or torn in armpit. Any thought???
    edited August 2011
    IOL wrote:
    edited August 2011
    edited August 2011
    edited August 2011
    I have been raise CornishX's from day-old chick to 7 weeks and doing the butchering myself. I use cones, have a 40 gal. propane scalder and tub picker. Have had wing joints dislocated from the start, assumed it was the picker. Found out that this was happening while the bird was still alive. I was horrified.
    Since, I have spent much time improving live bird handling practices. Things have improved, but still get damage. Sometimes it's only bruising, but still get tearing, dislocations at times and the bone comes out through skin a times.
    In an attempt to limit wing flapping during catching and crating we have adopted the practice of grasping the bird around the body instead of the legs. But lately I'm considering that maybe that is CAUSING the issue because the bird it struggling to extend it's wings while being picked up.
    Anyway, that's the short version. Any thoughts??
    edited August 2011
    why can't I see my post??
    edited August 2011
    I have been raise CornishX's from day-old chick to 7 weeks and doing the butchering myself. I use cones, have a 40 gal. propane scalder and tub picker. Have had wing joints dislocated from the start, assumed it was the picker. Found out that this was happening while the bird was still alive. I was horrified.
    Since, I have spent much time improving live bird handling practices. Things have improved, but still get damage. Sometimes it's only bruising, but still get tearing, dislocations at times and the bone comes out through skin a times.
    In an attempt to limit wing flapping during catching and crating we have adopted the practice of grasping the bird around the body instead of the legs. But lately I'm considering that maybe that is CAUSING the issue because the bird it struggling to extend it's wings while being picked up.
    edited August 2011
    edited August 2011
    ??????????
    edited August 2011
    yyyyyyyyyy
    edited August 2011
    Why is it that I can't seem to post a reply with any length to it?????
    edited August 2011
    edited August 2011
    In catching and crating for slaughter, I get dislocated wings even with the gentlest of handling