We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Chicken 'toys'?!

HenzillaHenzilla Member
edited October 2011 in "Off Your Chest"
Is it just me or is it all starting to get out of hand.
Stay with me on this..
When I was a lot younger horse food was either, mix, nuts or chaff. Basic.
Now the local shop has shelves full of, active, veteran, foal, stud, pasture mix, competion, this that & the other.
Now I know nutrition research has come leaps & bounds over ther years but have people noticed chicken stuff is starting to go the same way, with treat bars & even toys you put food in & they are supposed to roll it to get the food out. The simply MUST HAVE!
I can understand having a good balanced diet But I'm just waiting to see a 'race chook' mix for a new breed of racing chickens, ladies day at Aschook anyone?:D

Comments

• sandiesbrahmassandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    edited August 2011
    If the market wants the stuff and there are willing buyers, somebody is out there awaiting to make the profit.

As chickens seem to find worms, maggots, flies and beetles irresistible, I would suggest folk take this much cheaper option!

Sandie
  • HenzillaHenzilla Member
    edited September 2011
    Cunning plan, made my own toy for the girls!

Plastic ball with a few holes in, stick a handfull of mealworms inside.
    Bingo!
    Happy manic hens, kept em occupied all day. :D

They would wander off then check it again later.
  • RuvellRuvell Junior Member
    edited October 2011
    I have to admit at first I felt silly asking about toys for chickens, but I am glad I did!!
    I am also glad that I found a group of people as nutty about their chickens as I am and thought of all these ways to entertain their flocks!! I told my hubby about the cabbage thing he just gave me this " you have lost it look " but he really liked the cricket tube idea so I am also going to a bait shop/pet store which ever and get my girls some creepy bugs