We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Poorly,squidgy crop,neck jerking

AskernlodgeAskernlodge Junior Member
edited August 2011 in "Off Your Chest"
Please can anyone help!. Had a poorly hen for nearly a week.she keeps jerking her head, not really eating or drinking much and her crop is either empty or at the moment full of liquid.she has been to the vets 3 times and they cannot feel anything at all.she is on baytril and mete cam.she has passed a bit of poo.this morning it was foamy this afternoon bright green with a bit of undigested food. I am at a total loss I have tried everything I know and it's really upsetting me now because she seemed better yesterday,she ate quite a bit but has gone downhill again today.please can someone help me

Comments

• AskernlodgeAskernlodge Junior Member
    edited July 2011
    Please can anyone help.had a sick hen for nearly a week now she keeps jerking her head and is not really eating or drinking much.her crop at the moment is full and squidgy. She has been to the vet three times this week and is on baytril and mete cam,but they can not feel anything.she has done a poo this morning which was foamy and one this afternoon which was green with bits of undigested food in it.I am at a total loss I have tried everything.it's really upsetting me.she seemed a bit better yesterday but has gone downhill again please help
  • MEGANMEGAN Senior Member
    edited July 2011
    could she possibly have sour crop when the crop is full of water does it smell bad from her beak. If it is sour crop the anitbiotics dont usually help if it is a fungal infection.
    Another option is worms. When was she last wormed and what did you use.
  • edited July 2011
    I had a hen with sour crop for a long time. I had a lot of help on here. If you dare, you can try and empty the crop by tilting the hen upside down for a few seconds (and I mean a few seconds) at a time, let her settle back down and then give her some nice live yoghurt, as much as she will eat. You might also try some live maggots (from a fishing tackle shop) if she will eat them, the yoghurt works on the fungal infection in the crop, the magotts are supposed to eat the fungus in the crop, both work to rid the hen of the infection. Good luck. p.s. dont give baytril and yoghurt at same time.
  • bella10388bella10388 Junior Member
    edited August 2011
    I had a hen with sour crop for a long time. I had a lot of help on here. If you dare, you can try and empty the crop by tilting the hen upside down for a few seconds (and I mean a few seconds) at a time, let her settle back down and then give her some nice live yoghurt, as much as she will eat. You might also try some live maggots (from a fishing tackle shop) if she will eat them, the yoghurt works on the fungal infection in the crop, the magotts are supposed to eat the fungus in the crop, both work to rid the hen of the infection. Good luck. p.s. dont give baytril and yoghurt at same time.

I also think so.