We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Buckeye chicken scam?

farmerfarmer Junior Member
edited March 2012 in Market Place
Anyone with recent experience ordering buckeye chicks from David Puthoff at buckeyechickens.com? My payment was received and the order acknowledged. No chicks. No response to numerous emails and phone messages. The site is still up and taking orders. Anyone know what is going on there?

Thanks

Comments

• mollydollymollydolly Senior Member
    edited May 2011
    Just looked at the web site and it says we are taking orders...chicks and eggs to be posted mid to late June.
    Not quite certain how they are taking orders now....how they can be sure what they will have to sell then but maybe you shouldn't expect delivery until June?

I know a lot of plant places take orders and you don't get the plants until they are in season two months later....felt weird but they did arrive.
  • ChickwitChickwit Junior Member
    edited June 2011
    Hello there,

I placed an order and paid for 25 chicks back in February 2010. Apparently he had a lot of issues with his incubators etc, etc and was unable to ship. At some point late summer after I contacted him again he said he would be able to ship and even gave me a date; that day came and went and I once again contacted him and was told he had to ship to Alaska instead. So I waited and I guess at this point I'm about ready to give up.

I contacted him again on 5/11/2011 and asked if he might be able to fulfill the order and he replied quickly saying yes and I have not heard back from him since and I've emailed a couple of times.

I'm not saying his reasons were/are not legit but his customer service skills are lacking. A phone call, a email, something concrete would be nice.

Personally I am just so dang frustrated by this mess I'm about to give up and go with the loss of my money and only buy local cause of this.
  • raine1949raine1949 Junior Member
    edited June 2011
    Hi everyone. I am new and have never been involved in a forum before, however, I have the same problem with Buckeyechickens.com. I ordered and paid for Buckeye chicks back in Sept of 2010. I know that Dave had a lot of problems this past year. He offered a refund and I decided to just wait until he could deliver. Fall went by and nothing. He finally called me and apologized for the delay. In May 2011, he sent chicks. However, the postal system tracking states that they never left Dayton Ohio. I contacted him and he said we should wait until the first week of June. I have written and called and hear nothing to date.

I think he is having a hard time and am sure it is not a scam. They had some bad weather in that area too, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Raine1949
  • buckeyechickens.combuckeyechickens.com Junior Member
    edited July 2011
    farmer wrote:
    Anyone with recent experience ordering buckeye chicks from David Puthoff at buckeyechickens.com? My payment was received and the order acknowledged. No chicks. No response to numerous emails and phone messages. The site is still up and taking orders. Anyone know what is going on there?

Thanks
    Farmer has your order been satisfied or do we have any outstanding issues?
    Chickwit wrote:
    Hello there,

I placed an order and paid for 25 chicks back in February 2010. Apparently he had a lot of issues with his incubators etc, etc and was unable to ship. At some point late summer after I contacted him again he said he would be able to ship and even gave me a date; that day came and went and I once again contacted him and was told he had to ship to Alaska instead. So I waited and I guess at this point I'm about ready to give up.

I contacted him again on 5/11/2011 and asked if he might be able to fulfill the order and he replied quickly saying yes and I have not heard back from him since and I've emailed a couple of times.

I'm not saying his reasons were/are not legit but his customer service skills are lacking. A phone call, a email, something concrete would be nice.

Personally I am just so dang frustrated by this mess I'm about to give up and go with the loss of my money and only buy local cause of this.
    Irene, Is your order complete? Did your chicks make it OK? Tracking the chicks across the US says they arrived? Is this correct or do I still owe you chicks?
    raine1949 wrote:
    Hi everyone. I am new and have never been involved in a forum before, however, I have the same problem with Buckeyechickens.com. I ordered and paid for Buckeye chicks back in Sept of 2010. I know that Dave had a lot of problems this past year. He offered a refund and I decided to just wait until he could deliver. Fall went by and nothing. He finally called me and apologized for the delay. In May 2011, he sent chicks. However, the postal system tracking states that they never left Dayton Ohio. I contacted him and he said we should wait until the first week of June. I have written and called and hear nothing to date.

I think he is having a hard time and am sure it is not a scam. They had some bad weather in that area too, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Raine1949
    Thanks for the defense Raine, even thought the USPS lost your shipment I did resend a second order of chicks at my expense correct? Your order has been satisfied and your sons are happily playing with their chicks correct?
  • jstonejstone Junior Member
    edited August 2011
    I ordered chicks in late April with no communication from Mr. Puthoff until I filed a complaint with PayPal. I then was e-mailed. The chicks were due to arrive around June 13 when my case closed. They did not. There were problems hatching so the middle of July, I asked for a refund of my $115. I have sent Mr. Puthoff several e-mails and have called and received calls. However, I am still waiting. I have noticed over the last few months that chicks and eggs are available, just not for me. I am currently hoping for a refund. This is not using integrity to run a business. In my last communication, I was now on a waiting list for a refund. How does that work? If the chicks are not available then a refund needs to be sent promptly.
    edited August 2011
    jstone,
    When the money comes from orders in it goes right back out covering costs, I'm not one of those evil hated corporations or mass hatcheries, I am one guy with a flock of birds. I don't put cash out it in a barrels waiting for a rainy day.

How many times and ways would you like to hear that I am going to refund your money or confirm "yep, I pissed you off, yep, it's too hot to ship chicks, yep, I'll get you a refund... seriously? I have 2 refunds ahead of you. Would you like to email the 3 people in front of you and explain to them why you have to have your money before them?

Where did this guy from August 1st emails go? "I formerly owned, the XXXX XXXXXX Valley Hatchery. There were many years when I had to try hatching the following year in order to fill orders for specific breeds."

I appreciate your understanding, I am just a guy in a tough situation working his way out of it the best way he can, not someone trying to rip anyone off or lack of integrity or moral code.
    Peace,
    Dave
  • ChickwitChickwit Junior Member
    edited January 2012
    Just want to state that I did recieve my chickens and after seeing the PM am doing as asked because I am a decent person. I had already thanked you and feel that peoples frustration is understandable. But yes you did deliver.
  • SportscarSportscar Member
    edited January 2012
    Why oh why do people sell livestock that is not available yet....!!!!
    Why are people stupid enough to part with money months before their purchase is available or even hatched and developed.
    Why do people buy produce/livestock without seeing what they ae getting??
    The seller is risking trading standards getting involved....!!!
    The buyer is risking giving their money away to a perfect stranger who may not even have the goods...!!!
    OPEN YOUR EYES.!!!!! DON'T HAND OVER MONEY TIL THE GOODS ARE AVAILABLE..!!!!
    edited January 2012
    Chickwit wrote:
    Just want to state that I did recieve my chickens and after seeing the PM am doing as asked because I am a decent person. I had already thanked you and feel that peoples frustration is understandable. But yes you did deliver.
    Thanks!! And yes, I agree, the frustration is understandable.
  • simantosimanto Junior Member
    edited March 2012
    Free social connect by city, talk to friends in any city around the world, share photos, news, events and more. social, connect, share, vote, photos, friends, news, events, attractions, nightlife, resturants, service,run for mayor, world mayors, top mayor, world top mayors. Congratulations, your keyword density ranges between 2-4% for your targeted keywords.