We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

New startup

chickenlkchickenlk Junior Member
edited September 2011 in Producers and Vets
Hi everyone, hope all is fine.

I am planning on starting up a poultry farm and I'm a newbie. I intend to start off with 100 birds. All layers. 50 eggs I will sell daily and 50 eggs will go into the incubator.

So for example if i start on June 1st, around June 22nd-25th I will get my first batch of chicks, right? If 40 of the 50 eggs hatch daily and half of them are hens (is that the percentage of hens/ roosters?), it means I will have 20 hens daily added. I will sell the roosters when they're a week old and retain the hens.

In around 4 months, i.e October 20th, I will daily have 20 hens who are layers. So everyday there will be 20 more added to the layer batch. Now I will start selling 50 hens a day for meat.

How much space will I need as time progresses for the whole operation? My aim is to come to 300 layers and then steadily increase to a 1000

This is just my immature plan. Am I doing the math wrong here? Any input is most welcome.

Comments

• RomanRoman Junior Member
    edited July 2011
    Having 100 chickens you`ll haVE FIRST EGGS in about 21-23 w time,
    also don`t forget you need 7-10 males as otherwise your eggs won`t be fertile and no chickens.
    You might see that your first eggs are small or soft shell which is nogood for incubuting(also any misshape,cracks).

I hope it will help you,
    good luck bud,
    roman
  • zac's_livestockzac's_livestock Junior Member
    edited August 2011
    I produce hens on a small scale and even though you have 100 birds ther will be no guarantee on 100 eggs a day. You may only get about 70 a day and they may not start laying for a few days anyway. And then you will need cockerels. Then in 3 years all those birds will have to go as they will not lay.
    Hope this helps