We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

new to chickens

chickenjoechickenjoe Junior Member
edited May 2011 in "Off Your Chest"
im new to chickens but want to buy and show them what breed is good for bigginers and what do i need to get started

Comments

• solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited April 2011
    Hi Joe - if you post your thread under "Poultry Health & welfare" you will probably get some replies. It would be useful if you could let us know how you are planning to keep the hens - will they be free range or in a coop for example? This can help us advise on suitable breeds.
    Also - do you need advice about the right henhouse etc?
  • chickenjoechickenjoe Junior Member
    edited April 2011
    i plan to keep them in a coop with a big run and would like to know what i need to show them i would be keeping hens posibly silkis
  • SportscarSportscar Member
    edited May 2011
    Hi. Been keeping chooks for 9 yrs now.
    Yokohamas seem to win many shows and are rare breed. However you will need to have a coup with high perches so their tails don't becOme knotted as they have very long tails. They are stunning birds and I have found them to be quite hardy. However they can fly and jump quite high. So you will need a roof over your area, or 7ft fencing.
    Dutch bantams are also nice small birds a bit bigger than seramas and do well at shows. They are good in small areas too and lay well. Rare too.
    Silkies are good but are a little susceptible to scaly leg and tend to get ill easily. Bronchitis etc. They are a bit weak. I sold all mine. Make good broodies ;-)
    Pekins and frizzles also seem to do well at shows. Easy and tend to be quite tame too. Good layers and tough little birds with feathery legs and gorgeous little bustles.
    Sussex are easy. Hardy and good egg layers. Good following too. Seen a few nice ones at show. Large fowl and bantams. Beautiful White birds with black /grey necks. Probably another easy starter breed for eggs and showing.
    Xx:p