We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

egg storage

mobrien34mobrien34 Junior Member
edited January 2008 in "Off Your Chest"
Why are eggs stored piont down. Please give any info one may have. ty

Comments

• GoDogGoGoDogGo Junior Member
    edited March 2007
    When the egg is layed the natural air bubble forms on the large end as the egg cools. The air bubble enlarges as the egg ages. The practice of storing the egg small end down is supposed to help keep the yolk centered.
    It does make sense and has proven to be true in my experience, especially with hard boiled eggs.
    Also, I have found that the "old wives tail" about adding a splash of vinegar to the boiling water to make peeling fresh hard boiled eggs easier to peel is true and works very well. Apparently the vinegar causes the separatation of the egg from the membrane making it peel with ease. I have used both regular vinegar and apple cider vinegar with good results.
  • chickenladykchickenladyk Member
    edited January 2008
    A few more points: Be sure to collect eggs several times a day, especially in hot or freezing weather. Refrigerate them immediately.

Once the eggs are refrigerator temperature (a few hours), seal the cartons in ZipLoc bags in the fridge, they will stay first-day fresh much, much longer. Refrigerators dehumidify the air and dehydrate the eggs, which causes a lot of the deterioration of storage.

Just be sure your eggs are already at refrigerator temperature. You don't want moisture or condensation on the eggs, because mould and bacteria can grow in the moisture and infect the egg.

Hope this helps!