We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Question

livininlogslivininlogs Junior Member
edited August 2013 in "Off Your Chest"
I have 4 hens 3 are americana type birds the other a black hen of some kind. All produce brown medium to large eggs. I have gotten all my hens from the local shelter city don't allow birds to roam free lol. Well I got a call about a new bird and went to get what looked like a young hen black with kind of a blue hue to the feathers. Well I get her home and find spurs when I take her out lol. No matter at least it is someplace it can run around. I put him in a small coop and medicate for a few days just to make sure then put him in the pen with the others. About 2 weeks after I got her I went out to feed and get eggs and found my regular girls product and one small white egg. My question how common is it to have a hen with spurs? I have never had any eggs like this. The bird looks to be a game type bird lean and thin. I have gotten several more since

Comments

• Lilygirl509Lilygirl509 Senior Member
    edited April 2011
    Well if they are short spurs I don't think it's a boy and I think it's pretty common-not sure I'm no expert!
  • mollydollymollydolly Senior Member
    edited April 2011
    There are lots of different types of chickens, I used to have a cream legbar with one spur, she started to lay tiny eggs and then stopped within weeks. I suspect she had a damaged ovary. When they switch to the other ovary it can cause a burst of testosterone causing male characteristics. I didn't get to see if she started to lay again because a fox took her.

maybe someone out there with more game like hens that might know of some with spurs.
  • bacati55bacati55 Junior Member
    edited July 2011
    Hi

I am also looking forward to you with the same question as there are many breeds in the market and without having a look or information nobody can answer this in a right way.
    Kindly put a picture if you can.

Thanks
    Bacati
  • LittlechickLittlechick Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    Randy perhaps if you didn't paste an advertising link in your post you would get a response. We aren't interested in spam on here