We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

please help, ive opened up my duck egg and its alive!

sammykinssammykins Member
edited February 2011 in Poultry Health and Welfare
Ive just opened my duck egg and there is one in it!!!!!!

Basically, the incubator has 7 days to go!! and since looking on so many photos on infertile eggs it looked like mine was infertile!, silly old me decided that it was no good, so i cracked open a little bit and saw a duck actually moving!! now i wouldnt mind but i had been candling this egg for a while and for about an hour this evening, after not seing any veins or movement!!

What should i do? i have taped it up just the side that was picked open and have put it back into the incubator, is this the right thing to do? god i need help.

Please i dont want to hear how silly ive been, i feel bad enough and i swear the egg was all dark and empty where the egg sack was! i really thought the egg yoke was stuck to the side and had died early

By the way its an Aylesbury duck

Comments

• battwomanbattwoman Senior Member
    edited February 2011
    i hope your ok, have a look at this vid, it's from a chick with a broken shell, it's hard to tell sometimes my eggs looked like that and all were alive though one was deformed, next time try the flotation test, there's a link in one of my old threads, sorry not much help but nodded off on sofa now must go to bed! couldn't go without saying something though, you must be in a panic. hope it turns out but not a good thing to do.
    fi x
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl-_EwNqNOQ
    found it
    http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4648410od
  • sandiesbrahmassandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    edited February 2011
    How are things going? It is possible for eggs with cracks in to hatch, co hopefully this will be the case for you.

Good Luck,

Sandie
  • sammykinssammykins Member
    edited February 2011
    thats a great video, obviously my duck egg is on day 20, should i just let it see if it comes out now, or should i leave it taped up in the incubator, or take the tape off and leave it open?? im worried that maybe it cannot breath as i didnt just break the shell but the sack too, so blood did come out.

This chick on here was day 18 that survived, but im not sure whats right to do? thanks for any answers, i feel like i dont have much time to decide, as it happened about 1.30am this morning, if its egg sack was broken would that mean it cant breath now?

thanks for your help.
    edited February 2011
    i'm not great at this sorry, thats why i was begging for advice! but my instinct and other posts i think i'd leave off the tape and make sure your humidity is up so it dosen't dry out, i hope you get some better advice soon and all works out, it's near to hatching so fingers crossed for you,
    fi x
    edited February 2011
    Thanks for your reply, im thinking i will take off the tape and leave it so its not turning, and then just manually turn the other egg, but leave them in the incubator together.

The egg still has another 6 days to go, so the chicken egg that was hatched in that video only had 3 days to go, thats why i think it had more chance.

Hmmmm, christ i dont know whats best to do, Cant find anything on the internet on what to do.

but thanks again for your replies x
  • edited February 2011
    Hi, I have never hatched ducks before only chickens, but I did have to help one and when it needed to be left to do it's own thing I taped some of the egg as you need to keep as much moisture in the egg (it hatched successfully), as yours has quite a way to go I would leave some porus tape over it, especially as duck eggs need higher humidity. I did read on an article once about a hatchery who hatched parrot eggs an whenever they had a damaged egg they would tape it or use a water soluble glue. I personally prefer tape as I wouldn't be keen using glue on an egg... Obviously you won't really be able to turn it, but I have heard that's not a major problem... And all you can do is wait and see. As for the candling normally on a chicken egg after 10 days you can't see anything when candling it just looks black. Unfertile eggs are clear you can't see any black blob which would be the embryo. If you want to see the veins, on chickens you candle at about day 5 through to 8 or 9 depends really. I hope this is of some help for you to decide what to do, but don't panic and stress too much, it's amazing what eggs/chicks can cope with, good luck :-)
    edited February 2011
    can you find a chemist open and get some micropore tape? big supermarkets might have some, it's breathable.
    fi x
    edited February 2011
    good idea, although im not sure its survived, ive taken the tape off and i cannot see any movement, i shall just leave it be and see what happens. So gutted!
  • RoodieRoodie Senior Member
    edited February 2011
    Oh Sammy x
    I do hope the chick will be ok , Bless ya !!
    I ve never hatched any eggs myself so i really cannot offer any advice But just wanted to wish you luck and hopes everything will be ok for you !!
    Faye xx

Fi x Fab video hun, shows there still could be hope !! xx
    edited February 2011
    Hi just an update, i just opened it a little more as i couldnt see any movement, and its still breathing so ive left the shell opened and put it in its own incubator, one that doesnt turn. Lets keep our fingers crossed!!

Shall find out byt next sat as thats when its due date is
    edited February 2011
    fingers crossed
    fi x
    edited February 2011
    Fingers crossed hun and wishing you and your chick all the luck !!!
    keep us posted xx
    faye xx
  • spodskispodski Senior Member
    edited February 2011
    Hi,
    I would leave it taped. If you haven't broken the membrane it may be OK. It will need to be gently moved for a couple more days to stop it sticking to the shell. If it is only a small crack you may be able to seal it using nail varnish.
    Good luck!
    Lynn
    edited February 2011
    the membrane is broken too, and quite alot of the shell, its still breathing, thanks for your reply x
    edited February 2011
    Sorry just to add ive taped it again with micropore tape (didnt realise i had any, until now) i then tried turning it a little and blood started to leak onto the tape, so not sure if i should just leave it now?
    edited February 2011
    aw honey my heart goes out to you and babe, maybe just move it a little to stop it sticking without turning it, alot of the things i read said keep the humidity up to stop them drying out but my chick was further on. i really hope you have a little miracle and it makes it.
    fi x
    edited February 2011
    ok i shall try and do that, my 2 little eggs mean so much to me, as their mummy got eaten by a fox a few weeks ago and these were her last 2 eggs, and i just couldnt eat them, so i thought i would do something good by incubating them, its my first time and i so thought they had died! cannot believe all the youtube videos ive seen with infertile eggs looked like mine!! so gutted i opened it, but its still breathing!! anyway lets hope this time next week my little duck has survived and his brother / sister has been hatched succesfully too!! i need a miracle! x thanks for your help, will keep you posted x
    edited February 2011
    Oh Sammy the more you say the more i feel for you !! You poor thing x means all the more now knowing you lost mummy to a fox !! I so hope it all works out for you hun !! Try not to beat yourself up hun we all make mistakes and like you said it look infertile and you really never know till it done it time to incubate !!! How long have you got to try and keep him/ her in the egg for ?

Sending hugs to you both and good luck !!
    Faye x
    edited February 2011
    ahh thanks Roodie, well he/she will be due on saturday (that will be 28 days) im thinking maybe i will probably take the tape off on thursday and see if it might come out then, as half the egg is covered by tape it may try and pip where the tape is, so i wouldnt want it trapped.

Also i would want to make sure she/he has absorbed the egg yoke too, as i just saw that someone elses duck was born with it outside, poor things, and yes they are so precious to me!!

At least the fox didnt get my boy too, looking back on the CCTV he really fought for her, god it brings me to tears!! anyway im going to be positive, he has 4 new girlfriends and 2 children on the way! lol x
    edited February 2011
    Oh sammy stop you ve got me in tears now !! :(
    You mean to say your saw everything too !!! :eek: All be it afterwards !!
    You poor love .. i do hope it all works out ok ,Ill keep everything crossed for you and babe xx
    please keep us up dated on how they get on xx
    faye x
  • mollydollymollydolly Senior Member
    edited February 2011
    oh no how awful, that is such a sad story. I really hope your little baby makes it. The tricky part will be the last few days when you are really meant to keep the incubator closed as much as possible to maintain the humidity....the temptation to peek is going to be high.
    brings a tear to my eye to hear daddy really fought for his mate.
    Good luck think we are all going to be on tender hooks all week with you.
    edited February 2011
    oo faye your right, that brought a tear to my eyes sammy, i'm gonna be on tenderhooks now till hopefully a happy outcome, double fingers crossed for 't' licle orphan, (well technicaly it still has a dad but you know what i mean).
    fi x
    edited February 2011
    ahhh thanks for your caring messages! i think my main worry now is whether to turn the little egg, as it does leak out fluid and blood when i do turn it (only did that once though and panicked!! so it may be worse to turn than not to turn.

Yes he REALLY did fight for her, he got out the pond and smacked the fox a few times with his wings!! i couldnt watch all of it but o/h did. The worse thing was that foxy was dangling her in the pond (she was already dead) to try and get him to come over and as he got close the other fox tried to get him! they were out there for 2 hours teasing him! my god its awful! i know it sounds awful but it was like i lost a close friend! Anyway it just shows you how crafty the foxes are, cannot believe they used her as bait to try to get him! little s*its!

Anyway yes i shall keep you posted and put some photos on once they are hopefully born! x
  • BarleyBarley Senior Member
    edited February 2011
    Oh Sammy that must have been so traumatic for your poor hens and I am amazed at what foxes will do.
    Those 2 hrs must have seemed like 2 days.!
    I do hope your babies survive and will be thinking of you. Good Luck
    Do keep us posted
    Lin x
    edited February 2011
    ahh thanks Lin, i hope my ducks survive too x
    edited February 2011
    Hi just to let you all know that baby duck didnt make it, it died this morning! So now i just need to concentrate on this little egg thats left. I just pray that this one will hatch with no problems. Im so gutted x
    edited February 2011
    sorry to hear that sammy, am rooting for your last little guy.
    fi x
    edited February 2011
    Oh Sammy I am soooooooo sorry to hear you lost your little one !!
    Hope your ok !! xx

Thinking of you and good luck for the remaining little egg !!
    Faye xx
  • LittlechickLittlechick Senior Member
    edited February 2011
    Sammy we all had our fingers crossed for you. So sorry that it didn't make it. Good luck with the last one.
    Jules
  • BaltiAngelBaltiAngel Senior Member
    edited February 2011
    Oh thats a shame we were all ho
    Hoping for a different out come...never mind like you say put all your effort into the surviving one:D
    Wishing you all the best from here
    L:)
    xx