We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

When the cock crows!

westiewestie Junior Member
edited March 2011 in "Off Your Chest"
I've recently acquired a cockerel after having four peaceful hens for the past year. Although I love the sound of the dawn chorous I expected this to be at dawn and not at 4.30 in the morning (was I just being very nieve?). We don't have any problems with neighbours as we live quite isolated and although we are early risers I wouldn't mind a 5.30-6am crow.
Could anybody tell me if this is the norm or am I housing him incorrectly.
When he first arrived (a week ago) we put him in a house and run within the chicken house and run and kept him seperate from the hens for a couple of days in case of any disease. They are now altogether during the day but at dusk he takes himself back into his own coop and the hens go into theirs. Is he crowing earlier because the hens are in a seperate coop?
All ideas welcome. Thanks westie

Comments

• tee23uktee23uk Junior Member
    edited February 2011
    we try to keep ours in untill 8 in the morning then everyone gets a bit of sleep try locking him up till a certain time then let him out to the hens that way you get a bit more sleep it dont harm him at all
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    edited February 2011
    its usually a familiar noise that sets them off.....very often the wild birds or a cockerel living near.
    robins start very early- before dawn , so once it starts then your cockerel knows morning is coming....and he'll pipe in
    sometimes its the light coming that starts them off and you can delay this by making sure his coop is completely dark. but if yours is crowing when its still dark then its probably a robin setting him off.
    a trick that may help you is that because cockerels stretch their necks up to crow, keeping him in a coop with a low ceiling means he cant crow even if he wants to.
    i dont think its the separation from the girls thats doing it as i have 2 cockerels in with 2 hens and one of mine still crows early.
    they dont just crow at dawn either - anytime of day!
    kath
  • sandiesbrahmassandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    edited February 2011
    I agree entirely with Kath.....mine often start as early as 3 or 3:30....and if one starts, they all start.
    Generally it is the fault of a family member at our house, though, either my daughter just coming in or me getting up. We have heat-detector triggered lights as we live in an area which is essentially without light pollution in the sticks and falling over on the drive is very easy (even without the sloe gin).The dog, doing his nightly rounds also triggers the lights to switch on, as does any fox (deters predation).So lights and sounds will start of the crowing.
    If you can keep your cockerel quiet and dark he is much more likely to stay quiet until or just before you let him out.
    And yes, cocks crow all day long if the mood takes them, though some are much quieter than others.

Sandie
  • westiewestie Junior Member
    edited February 2011
    Thanks for your help.
    We live in an area with very little light polution but the robins setting him off could be possible, we are inundated with them at the moment. Because he is a new member of the familiy I suppose I am sleeping lighter, listening out for him (mothers instinct). Perhaps when he settles in and I settle down the crow won't be a problem, or not. Suppose its just the start of the adventures in cockerel land. All bodes for an interesting life!
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited February 2011
    Our budgies and ex bats tend to wake up with the wild birds too - when it's still dark. We have a lot of blackbirds ticking each other off too! I must admit I love my sleep too much to have a cockerel!
  • mollydollymollydolly Senior Member
    edited February 2011
    Hi there, happy to hear about the new addition.
    It could well be your local fox paying a morning visit, my Nigel starts when the fox visits usually around three.
    On the plus side he seems to have learned that just a couple of "I am here" crows sends him on his way and Nigel settles down again.

I hope that in a couple of weeks when your man feels safe and sure of his environment he may also just do a couple of crows and settle down again.

I and the kids have also tuned him out now so we don't really hear him.
  • shapeshape Junior Member
    edited March 2011
    May be at 4 in the morning, it really depends on each mate.