We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

When will my Buff Orpington start to lay???

linda07965linda07965 Junior Member
edited March 2011 in "Off Your Chest"
I got my first ever hens last August, 2 ex battery hens which I was told may be about a year old. I also got a Buff Orpington hen from someone else, I was told she was hatched in Feb/Mar 2010. The 2 ex battery hens started laying soon after I got them and still are laying but my Buff Orpington still hav'nt started laying. I am aware that the Pure breeds don't lay like the hybrids but I did think that they start to lay before they are a year old. All the 3 hens get on well together, don't fight ect. All 3 hens are purely kept as pets and for the lovely fresh eggs. Can anyone let me know if its normal for the hen to be a year + before laying
Linda

Comments

• undautriundautri Senior Member
    edited February 2011
    hi
    battery hens are bred to lay, and thats what they do non stop.
    orpingtons are dual purpose birds, so wont lay as many eggs and the larger breeds tend to start a bit later.
    12 months is a bit late but weve had really bad , cold weather so that could delay her.
    iim waiting for one of my supposedly good laying breeds to come back into lay since last autumn..and i think theres others on the site waiting too
    just make sure she looks and acts normally and is getting enough calcium and protein in her diet ....im sure shell get there eventually, unless youve got a cockerel there??
    kath
  • linda07965linda07965 Junior Member
    edited February 2011
    Many thanks Kath for your reply, she is a large hen, as far as I know it is a hen, ive never heard it make sound of cockerel, it make alot of clucking sounds. Dont know if I can put a photo of her on here.
  • figarofigaro Member
    edited February 2011
    My pure breed hens stopped laying in November and one of them has just started again but the others are not showing any signs - I miss the different colours on my egg shelter.;)
    edited February 2011
    Hi Figaro,
    How old were your pure breed hens when they first started to lay?
  • sandiesbrahmassandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    edited February 2011
    My 45 week old Brahma pullets haven't come into lay yet, whereas the single cross hen (Brahma X Warren) who hatched at the same time started about 4 weeks ago and is a good consistent layer now.
    Pure breeds can take AGES, but they live for 10-12 years if not predated etc.
    SO hang on in there.
    Two of my hens went broody July/August time last year and one came back into lay a week ago, the other hasn't re-started yet!
    These big hens do everything s l o w l y but they are such a joy.

Sandie
    edited February 2011
    Many thanks Sandie for your reply. So it seem all is ok with my hen and the larger hens are slower at laying. I am new to keeping hens so learning gradually about them, and find it very helpful to hear from others who have more experience. Its good to hear that the larger hens can live up to 12 years old, my orpington love to be cuddled so make a lovely pet, they all have such different personality.
    Linda
  • figarofigaro Member
    edited February 2011
    Hi Linda

One bantam was six months, the other was seven months, and the large fowl were both eight months old before laying.
    edited February 2011
    My 11/12 month old buff orpington has finely layed her first egg, she must of known I posted a message on here last week lol. I went to the nest box 2 days ago and there was a cream/slight pinky small egg in there which is a complete different colour egg to what my 2 ex-battery hens lay. She didn't lay yesterday but has layed today and had it for lunch, the yolk is a very deep yellow almost orange colour.
    Linda
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    edited February 2011
    oh well done!
    bet it was worth waiting for!
    kath
  • EmmaEmma Senior Member
    edited February 2011
    is this the same for pekins ? My little ones were hatched in july and are showing no sign whatsoever. Never had much dealings with pekins before, i dont think they are fantastic layers but my children have fallen for them so feel obliged to keep them:)
    edited February 2011
    Hi Emma It could well be. I am new to chicken keeping but have learnt quite alot recently. I expect your hens will come into lay when the spring arrive:)
    Linda
  • bigjoolzbigjoolz Junior Member
    edited March 2011
    I have a buff orpinton and two sussex whites - as yet i have only been getting sporadic laying of single eggs by one of the sussex whites - when should I expect the others to lay as well?

I am giving them layers pellets and corn

Thanks in advance:D