We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Question about cross breeding (Call Ducks)

HollyHolly Junior Member
edited January 2011 in Pure Breeds and Enthusiasts
Hi, this is just a quick (and probably very silly question, but everywhere I've looked doesn't explain it, so I thought it better to ask here, where people will know first hand) I'm wanting to buy at some point a couple of Laying Cherry Valley or Aylesbury ducks, however, I also at some point would like to own a pair of Call Ducks (one male, one female) Would it be safe to keep them together (please don't think I'm reckless for asking, because it is probably very obvious to you, but I want to know before I get any ducks, so that I can look after them properly) Would the male Call duck also be able to breed with the Aylesburys / Cherry Valleys, or is that not possible due to the size difference Etc? (Which I would Not want them to do, as I'd like the Calls as a pair, but the Aylesburys to just lay infertile eggs) Also, would the females fight at all?

Comments

• undautriundautri Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    hi
    not a silly question at all..
    i dont know much about ducks but if they are anything like cockerels, and im guessing they are, they will tread any female ducks they can get their beaks on! so infertile eggs i should think would be out of the question.
    if you intend breeding then why not just set the call duck eggs.
    why do you want to keep the aylesbury eggs infertile?
    kath
  • HollyHolly Junior Member
    edited January 2011
    Thank you for the reply :) I wanted to keep the aylesburys infertile because I wanted to have some eggs to take home to cook, my Nan bakes all the the time :D But it's not the end of the world if I don't buy aylesburys, but I would like this pair of Calls I've seen :)
    edited January 2011
    theres nothing wrong with using fertilized eggs - just store them in the fridge or somewhere cool so that incubation doesnt start...
    kath
    edited January 2011
    So, they'd still be safe for human consumption? :confused: Even as just boiled eggs? Sorry, I had no idea that you could eat eggs when the bird had been covered (I'm still new to this haha)
    edited January 2011
    perfectly safe
    if you go back a few years, before battery farms, all chickens on farms would have a cockerel or two running with them
    theres no difference in taste or quality or appearance- the only difference being that if they are subjected to heat then they will start to incubate, so you need to collect them daily to stop your birds sitting on them, especially in the summer.
    theres a small white disc on the surface of an egg yolk, when fertilized this disc will appear more like a ring or halo....thats how you tell
    so....no excuse not to get both types of duck that youre after:D
    and the eggs make brilliant cakes,so Nan will be well pleased

kath
    edited January 2011
    That's great! I had no idea! I was scared if I started tucking into a boiled egg I would find a teeny duck in there... (I don't think things through, if I'd have thought about it without this image popping into my head every time, I would maybe have realised it wouldn't start to develop straight away, and also wouldn't develop into a visible baby duck by that time, I often lack in the common sense department! ;) ) Thank you for your help, I'll get both now I think hehe :D