We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

chickens swelled up like a massive ballon ??

marky2222marky2222 Junior Member
edited March 2011 in Producers and Vets
hi guys
i am here to ask for some advise i have a hut with around 16 silver laced wyandotte bantams in
mixed males and females around 16 week old maybe less there all seem chipper but one has been abit down
for for a week or soo
the other day i went in the shed and a was greeted by a monsteras sized silver laced wyandote bantom that
was like a puffer fish its head was full of air as was the full body looked like if i had not of found it intime it would of exploded
i had to ov put it out of its horrible misery asap but i was just wondering if any body knows what the hell this could of been i have had
abit of trouble with ecoli late last year but i though that had all cleared up as i have some more birds in another shed and there crops and filled with the same feeling air but there body is fine but this poor wyadotte was full og it i have included some pictures of the bird dead when i have cut it open to show
the large inflation inside
cheers
mark

P130111_17_05_01.jpg
upload image

P130111_17_06.jpg
image hosting

Comments

• solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    No idea what caused this - how worrying for you, and thanks for sharing your experience. Hopefully someone will know and post a reply soon.
  • mollydollymollydolly Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    No idea sorry, The bird was full of air? did it smell foul? was it in the body cavity?
    Unless she had a hole in a lung somewhere and air that she was breathing leaked into her body cavities? there would have been some sign of damage on the outside of a lung somewhere. Would have thought she would have shown some sign of seriously laboured breathing and suffocated long before she swelled up so much.
  • bitpoopbitpoop Junior Member
    edited January 2011
    I have a chicken that fells blown up but i think its water.
    its butt feels as big as a soft ball vary tight.
    it hardly eats and has no meat on its breast's vary skinny yet massive ball in the butt area? it poops small pea size poops. this happens every winter.
    the chicken gets better in the summer after it lays an egg.
  • sueonmullsueonmull Member
    edited March 2011