We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Not eating much

spodskispodski Senior Member
edited June 2011 in Producers and Vets
It has been really cold here today and my Redcap chooks don't seem to have eaten very much at all. I've given them a few mealworms, some oats and some whole grain (in addition to their pellets) which they have eaten. They usually almost empty their feeder during the day but today they have only eaten about a fifth of what they would normally. Do I need to worry? They did look really cold this afternoon! (Redcaps)
I have put an old ceramic hot water bottle in the coop with my them this afternoon and refilled it for bed time.
My bigger chooks have a greenhouse heater at night and my chicks have had a lamp all afternoon but just plenty of straw and a blanket at night. They seem OK.
Regards,
Lynn

Comments

• sandiesbrahmassandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    edited December 2010
    I think that the chooks can become a bit torpid in this very cold weather.

Hot porridge (plus oil, sunflower seeds, mealworms, grit, eggshell, even mince pies included) seems to perk mine up no end.

Pack the calories in with the weather as it is....they need lots of grub to keep warm.

sandie
  • AnnschooksAnnschooks Member
    edited December 2010
    You can always make your own fat feeders, with lard, suet, grain, sunflower seeds or a wild bird feed mix. I also add sweetcorn and meal worms to mine.

My chooks love them, whereas they are just not interested in commercially made fat balls.

When its low temperatures I run all my poultry together in one big shed, their combined body heat keeps the inside warm.
  • lilysabrinalilysabrina Junior Member
    edited April 2011

Hot porridge (plus oil, sunflower seeds, mealworms, grit, eggshell, even mince pies included) seems to perk mine up no end.

Pack the calories in with the weather as it is....they need lots of grub to keep warm.

sandie

When you cold , you need to do some sports made you warm .
  • bauer5152bauer5152 Junior Member
    edited June 2011

sandie

I also think so.
    I sometimes use Nettex Poultry Nutri-Drops when they are sick and it increases their appetite - but only when they are not interested in food at all.
    I give out the same portion of mash every day. Some days it is all gone at the end of the day, other days half of it is still left. I would not worry unless it keeps going on for a prolonged time.