We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Feather loss in December?

timbo49timbo49 Junior Member
edited December 2010 in "Off Your Chest"
Hi All
Have just noticed my Ex-Batt Hen has started moulting!! Is this normal in December?? I have been bringing her Indoors at night whilst its been so cold. Then put her outside in daytime if it was milder.
Now we've found her shedding her feathers, which seems odd in Wintertime?
Does anyone have any ideas why this might be happening, should it not be the normal time for this?
Cheers, Tim

Comments

• susiecsusiec Member
    edited December 2010
    She's moulting its fine...give her nice high energy and high fat diet and lots of bedding and she will be fine...
  • onthehillonthehill Junior Member
    edited December 2010
    super to read this as one of mine is loosing feathers en masse, rhode island Red/leghorn x - she was such a beauty and now looks a mess,

she is snuggling up to the others but am worried should she be inside -4 last night. and water froze twice today. loosing a lot of feathers from her neck the henhouse is littered with them - was hiding under the hedge yesterday when they were all out cruising the garden. - their was wind that would cut you in half.
  • chickensRcoolchickensRcool Member
    edited December 2010
    chickens will molt when it is light outside. she probably got fooled! you should get her a little jacket to keep her warm or bring her inside. hope this helped!