We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Help! My chicken just got attacked by a hawk!

chickensRcoolchickensRcool Member
edited March 2011 in "Off Your Chest"
My chicken just got attacked by a hawk. He is now resting with the other chickens in the chicken coop. I picked him up and he was bleeding a bit. What should I do?! Please help!!!

Comments

• undautriundautri Senior Member
    edited November 2010
    hi
    youll need to assess the damage. is she still bleeding?
    if the cuts are deep she may need stitching. these birds of preys talons are like razors.
    best if you can get her indoors to keep an eye on her ( also the others may have a go at her if they see shes injured)- put her somewhere warm and quiet to get over the shock.provide food and water.
    bathe the wounds in iodine in water or savlon or similar antiseptic- at a push you can use water with a little vinegar in it. if the wounds are minor you can put cream on them- antiseptic.
    hope shes soon better
    kath
  • chickensRcoolchickensRcool Member
    edited November 2010
    When I picked him up he was bleeding a little and he doesn't look too good, but I've seen worse. Thanks for the help!
  • iloveexbatsiloveexbats Senior Member
    edited November 2010
    I'm sorry to hear about your poor hen. I do hope that she picks up soon. We have a lot of Buzzards that fly over us and we have bought a large plastic hawk which we put in an apple tree near the hen run. Apparently, if a bird of prey sees another one, it will fly off - it might be worth thinking about to act as a deterrent.
  • sandiesbrahmassandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    edited November 2010
    Clean up all the wounds and keep your bird well fed and warm. They are pretty tough.(In the summer a fox attack ripped huge holes in the back of one of my boys which I had to stitch, but he survived and is very fit again now).

We have lots of buzzards and kites (the latter a protected species). I think they are beautiful birds and they don't ever bother the chooks. They very rarely attack adult birds, but may take juveniles, so I keep the little ones under cover until they have grown a bit.
  • manikkpudurmanikkpudur Junior Member
    edited November 2010
    First of all stop the bleeding. Use cotton to wipe it of and notice whether the bleeding continous and take measures.
    edited November 2010
    Hi everyone!
    I went back to the chicken coop earlier today and our chicken is doing much better! He was walking and eating with all the other chickens. He doesn't look like he's bleeding anymore. Thanks for all the help!
  • iloveexbatsiloveexbats Senior Member
    edited November 2010
    I'm so glad to hear that your hen is doing well after her nasty experience. :)
    edited December 2010
    our chicken is doing much better. and is completley healed. thanks!
    edited December 2010
    now are little chicken is doing so much better and is completly happy and healthy! thanks so much everyone for helping me! i am just so thankfull that he is okay.

by the way, he is a ROOSTER not a hen.
    thanks again!