We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

When Will My Chickens Start Laying?

chickensRcoolchickensRcool Member
edited December 2010 in "Off Your Chest"
I 've recently got baby chickens in the summer and have moved them in the chicken coop at about 5 weeks. They are now sooo big and still growing, but are still not laying. they are about 3 months old. when will they start laying?! when did your chickens start laying?

thanks!

Comments

• ozyon12ozyon12 Junior Member
    edited November 2010
    Hi chickensRcool, I think it depends on the breed and wheather conditions. EG: rhode island reds can lay from about 3 mths old and light sussex can lay from about 5 mths old and aracounas can lay from 6 mths old etc. Also they delay in colder wheather. I hope that helps
  • sandiesbrahmassandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    edited November 2010
    Yes, with regards tp eggs, don't expect any just yet awhile.
    My Brahma pullets are 33 weeks and are not thinking about laying yet.

Sandie
  • drplc3drplc3 Junior Member
    edited November 2010
    It must be older than 5 month old to start laying
  • chickensRcoolchickensRcool Member
    edited December 2010
    it is getting close to winter and is pretty cold. i have a different variety of chickens. some of them are cochins, naked necks, wyandottes, giants, silkies, and a favorolles. they will probably start laying in the spring. thank you!
  • ChickenLytleChickenLytle Junior Member
    edited December 2010
    I got my pullets over the summer. They got off to a rocky start, but now I am overwhelmed with eggs.