We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

strange autopsy, yellow belly, pale liver

Rye(humor) farmerRye(humor) farmer Junior Member
edited December 2010 in Producers and Vets
Should I be concerned about my free ranging flock? We slaughtered 3 young outwardly healthy roosters this morning. 2 seemed normal, one had very thin skin on its breast and a very yellow color. Upon evisceration it drained alot of yellow liquid from under the skin and perhaps from the body cavity. The liver was very pale and I think enlarged with darker capillary like spots. We elected not to eat the bird and disposed of it in the garbage. Could this be caused by coccidiosis or parasites?

Comments

• flintstoneflintstone Senior Member
    edited December 2010
    Should I be concerned about my free ranging flock? We slaughtered 3 young outwardly healthy roosters this morning. 2 seemed normal, one had very thin skin on its breast and a very yellow color. Upon evisceration it drained alot of yellow liquid from under the skin and perhaps from the body cavity. The liver was very pale and I think enlarged with darker capillary like spots. We elected not to eat the bird and disposed of it in the garbage. Could this be caused by coccidiosis or parasites?
    If you are concerned about the state of the post mortem maybe you should take the bird to a vet or to a lab to have it examined further. To just put it in the bin without knowing just what you have is a little bit silly.

There appears to be several parts of the bird that dont appear to be normal. If you have anymore then may be you should sacrifice one bird and take it to the Agriculture Department and let the vet there take a good long look a the bird to make sure that it is not ging to affect the commercial trade as well as the non commercial trade or back yarders.