We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Chicken walking in a circle

jane Hjane H Junior Member
edited November 2010 in Producers and Vets
I just noticed today that one of my pullets was acting strangely. She was lying down more than usual, and when she got up she was unsteady and seemed to be walking in circles rather than straight lines.
I saw her earlier scratching around in a part of the garden where some old pellets had dropped some months ago.
Do you think she has food poisoning? Is there anything I can do about it? I have her isolated.
She was healthy this morning. It seemed to come on after lunch.

Comments

• solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited November 2010
    Is she moulting? Sometimes when hens moult a lot of feathers at once they appear quite drunk - staggering around, sometimes in circles, even backwards! If you think this might be the case - follow the thread for "complete loss of balance" - some great advice in the answer.

Good luck
  • jane Hjane H Junior Member
    edited November 2010
    The chicken that was walking in circles is doing better. I think I may have identified the problem. She isn't molting, but she was under a cage the other day, and she may have eaten some old food. I cleaned it out yesterday and found a broken biodegradible plastic bottle of what used to be slug killer. I think she may have eaten some of it.
    I cleaned and washed the whole area. She is still not quite right, she seems bigger on one side than the other and still a little unsteady, but her head is extended and she is walking straight now. Poop is the right color, and I can only hope she didn't hurt her kidneys. I think we may have a recovery here.
    Thanks.