We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Sick rooster, weird leg movements

Momof4Momof4 Junior Member
edited February 2007 in Poultry Health and Welfare
Hi, I just registered and am hoping to find answers and suggestions for my ailing rooster. He's so sweet and I hope I can help him, but I fear it's too late. It may be helpful to note that he was in with a bunch of ducks but I recently just gave him run of the barn. He sleeps on the steps at night, so I'm glad he's off the cold cement floor.

I noticed when he walks he draws each leg up almost to his chest. While it's very cute to watch I know it's not right. Also, his feathers aren't right and I can't figure out if it's just a molt.

I give him fresh water 3 - 4 times per day (icing over right now, and I don't have a heat element for him but am considering bringing him to our basement but know my husband would not be happy!) and am giving him warm "porridge" made out of my potbelly grain, all healthy ingredients, and he has plenty of layer mash and cracked corn. He seems to drink quite a bit, was eating the porridge fine until today, and seems to be happy to eat cracked corn. BUT, he is thin.

My main concern is his new, weird walking. I don't know where to go for answers.

Thanks for any input,
Denise

Comments

• SandySandy Senior Member
    edited February 2007
    Hi Denise
    Momof4 wrote:
    Hi, I just registered and am hoping to find answers and suggestions for my ailing rooster. He's so sweet and I hope I can help him, but I fear it's too late. It may be helpful to note that he was in with a bunch of ducks but I recently just gave him run of the barn. He sleeps on the steps at night, so I'm glad he's off the cold cement floor.

You need to tell us a bit about the bird please

How old is he
    How long was he in with the ducks
    What did you give him to eat when he was in with the ducks
    Where did he sleep when he was in with the duck
    Are his legs hot to the touch
    Are his legs swollen

He may have a respiratory infection
    He may have worms... have you ever wormed him ?
    He may have arthritis

How long has he been like this ?
    I noticed when he walks he draws each leg up almost to his chest. While it's very cute to watch I know it's not right. Also, his feathers aren't right and I can't figure out if it's just a molt.

Have you checked him for lice or mites
    When you say his feathers aren't right ... explaine what you mean please
    What are his droppings like.. give a detailed description of them.. don't say normal.. to you they may be normal.. but they may not be ok

I give him fresh water 3 - 4 times per day (icing over right now, and I don't have a heat element for him but am considering bringing him to our basement but know my husband would not be happy!) and am giving him warm "porridge" made out of my potbelly grain, all healthy ingredients, and he has plenty of layer mash and cracked corn. He seems to drink quite a bit, was eating the porridge fine until today, and seems to be happy to eat cracked corn. BUT, he is thin.

What is in the porridge.. what are all the ingredients you put into this.. salt .. sugar ?

Layer mash.. what percentage of protein is in it ..

Is there shell grit added to the mix

How much cracked corn does he eat .. in comparison to the layer mash

How thin is he
    How long has he been this thin
    My main concern is his new, weird walking. I don't know where to go for answers.

Thanks for any input,
    Denise

Once we answer the questions on nutrition I think you may find the walking thing will be fixed also... lets hope so anyway

I would like you to mix up this for him each morning if you can please

2 to 4 tablespoons of layer mash
    2 tablespoons of yoghurt... the one with NO SUGAR OR FRUIT.. active ingredents in it
    1 tablespoon of beef tin cat food
    1/2 a boiled egg yolk
    1 small teaspoon of honey
    2 tablespoons of grated apple or apple sauce with NO SUGAR IN IT

Mix all together.. give to the bird to eat first thing in the morning.. put out other food for him also but try to get him to eat as much of this as possible before you put the other food out

Cut back on the corn to only 1 tablespoon .. mix it with the layer mash .. and mix this with some milk for him .. see if he eats the layer mash then.. try to get him off the corn as much as possible.. it has absolutely no nourishment for birds at all... that is what is probably wrong with him.. he is starving..

I know you have been feeding him.. but not the right things.. not your fault.. you obviously love the bird and didn't realize
  • Momof4Momof4 Junior Member
    edited February 2007
    The rooster is almost 5 years old, and has shared his stall with the ducks since they hatched in July. He typically roosts above the ducks, who remain on the stall floor below. They have shared layer pellets, not mash as I mistakenly mentioned, and his legs do not appear to be swollen. I don't think they're warm to the touch, but I will inspect him further today.

How do I check for lice and mites? I will look for creepy crawlers when I go out. And, he looks like he's molting. His neck feathers appear to have new onces coming in, and I saw new tail feathers coming in. I have never wormed him, and his legs and walking the way he is has happened in the past two weeks or so, although my son, who does all evening barn chores, told me he's always been like that, my husband and I disagree.

No salt or sugar in the porridge, and I forget all the ingredients but it's a variety of grains. I decided on this brand of potbelly food simply because of it's wholesome ingredients and lack of salt. Don't know percentage of protein in layer pellets, blue seal feeds is the brand. His droppings appear normal.

I am going to get the yogurt and catfood when out today and will check again later for any further suggestions when I return.

Oh, when I boiled him an egg a couple of days ago I mashed the shell right in with the egg. I read that it's good for them. Do you agree?

thanks,
    Denise
  • Aspen Hill FarmAspen Hill Farm Junior Member
    edited February 2007
    My rooster began to walk oddly after his spurs got quite long.
  • SandySandy Senior Member
    edited February 2007
    Momof4 wrote:
    The rooster is almost 5 years old, and has shared his stall with the ducks since they hatched in July.

Its never a good idea to keep ducks and chickens in the same are... one is a wet bird.. the other a dry bird...

The problems will rise more so in summer time... when water heat and air hit the coop.. the chicken will probably get Coccidiosis
    He typically roosts above the ducks, who remain on the stall floor below.

Good that he doesn't sleep in thier muck below.. this would definately give him sickness..
    They have shared layer pellets, not mash as I mistakenly mentioned, and his legs do not appear to be swollen. I don't think they're warm to the touch, but I will inspect him further today.

Layer pellets are designed for laying hens, roosters can eat them for sure.. but they have extra calcium that the roosters don't require.. so no extra calcium to be given to the rooster or he will end up with kidney problems
    How do I check for lice and mites? I will look for creepy crawlers when I go out.

You look at the vent area first.. if the bird has lice they can usually be seen easily in that area.. look at the end of the feathers.. if you see a build up around the base of the feather near the skin.. this is also an indicator that the birds has lice
    And, he looks like he's molting. His neck feathers appear to have new onces coming in, and I saw new tail feathers coming in.

Handle the bird very carefully now that he is molting... he is very sore and he is also feeling like he has the flu.. they also display flu like symptoms while they are molting.. the recipe that I gave you will help him with re feathering also..
    I have never wormed him,

go to your local feed store.. ask them if they have
    Wazine.. or.... Piperazine... this treats for large round worms... all birds must be wormed and these worms are the most prolific if he has any.. DON'T WORM HIM UNTIL HE HAS RE GROWN HIS FEATHERS... When you do worm him... you will need to re worm him again 2 weeks later to get rid of the eggs that hatch inside him as the worming treatment does not get rid of the eggs only the live worms... and re worming them in 2 weeks after the first worming treatment expels all the worms ... you will then need to worm him every 4 months..
    his legs and walking the way he is has happened in the past two weeks or so, although my son, who does all evening barn chores, told me he's always been like that, my husband and I disagree.
    ]

I actually tend to agree with your son
    I think you haven't noticed his odd walking behaviour due to the fact that his feathers were probably covering the legs up ... now that he has lost so many feathers you can see the legs and how he walks

No salt or sugar in the porridge, and I forget all the ingredients but it's a variety of grains. I decided on this brand of potbelly food simply because of it's wholesome ingredients and lack of salt. Don't know percentage of protein in layer pellets, blue seal feeds is the brand.

Sounds pretty good
    His droppings appear normal.

I did ask that you describe his droppings to me .......... sometimes...........what people think is normal may not be normal at all.. this happens a lot

Please be descriptive with your answer.. color .. consistency etc amount
    I am going to get the yogurt and catfood when out today and will check again later for any further suggestions when I return.

Sounds great.. if you can afford it and if your local feed store has it... try and get some Food Grade Kelp... add this at 2% of dry feed .. it really helps them to stay healthy and re feathering is excellent

And if you ever get him a hen to keep him company and they have chicks.. feeding the kelp really hatches healthy little chicks.. especially if the hen and rooster are on it
    Oh, when I boiled him an egg a couple of days ago I mashed the shell right in with the egg. I read that it's good for them. Do you agree?

thanks,
    Denise

For hens the shell is great.. for roosters no it isn't too much calcium.. the wrong sort for a rooster

But the choice is up to you.. if it was me.. I would shell the egg and crush it up and sprinkle it around some vegetable plants to keep the snails away.. or store it for later use and use it in the veggie patch