We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Smart Chicken!

chickensRcoolchickensRcool Member
edited June 2011 in "Off Your Chest"
Many people think that chickens are dumb animals, but they are acually very smart animals. i tought my rooster named Pepper to come when called it was acually pretty easy but you need ALOT of patience. it all started when i took her to the garage and fed him tomatoes. i walk around and he started following me and begging for the tomatoes. now when i call out his name he comes running and i reward him.tomatoes are his favorite food. what does your smart chicken do?

Comments

• DuckyLuvDuckyLuv Junior Member
    edited October 2010
    Well we haven't exactly got a smart chicken, but we have the most cunning,cheeky and intelligent duck I have ever known. He comes when he is called. He tells us if anyone steps onto our block,walks past or even drives past and he chases and fetches shoes. BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE! Our shoes are kept just inside the front door in the foyer and his favourite shoe is thongs, now we have milk crates and milk crates of thongs because we live on an island so when you leave the door open he walks around in circles around the open door looking totally normal, he does this a couple of times then slowly creeps in and steals shoe after shoe after shoe only the thongs really because those are the only ones he can carrying soundlessly away. If he is caught in the act he will stand still and quack. If his Girl Friends are with him he will usher them inside and just sit in the doorway. He is also a great GUARD DUCK we had to put up a sign saying BEWARE OF THE WEREDUCK! The guy that checks the meters can't enter our property without someone holding Quacks(the duck) because Quacks will run at him biting his shoes and feet and chasing him out of the yard. Sort of like dogs and mailmen :D . So there it is our cheekiest duck..EVER!!
  • sandiesbrahmassandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    edited October 2010
    I have a 3+ week old chick (a solo) indoors who knows that I eat my breakfast whilst typing. She leaps up onto the table via a floor speaker and my knee and steals breakfast from my bowl. The little demon then wipes her beak on my keyboard given half a chance......grrrrrrrrr.

Sandie
  • randyNCrandyNC Senior Member
    edited November 2010
    ChickensRcool, Is your chicken a hen or rooster? You call it both in your post. ( He and she ). Just wondering.
  • chickensRcoolchickensRcool Member
    edited November 2010
    oh! sorry about that.
    he is a rooster.:)
  • delislelegranddelislelegrand Junior Member
    edited November 2010
    There is no doubt that they're smart...For sure smarter than our guinea-birds. We have a rd not very far, and they went on the rd once...We chased them from the rd, and the hens understood right away, it was not a place to go...never went back there. Unfortunately guineas are not that smart...they kept going there , and one was killed by a car....

Also, we have a hen who loves coming in our house...Despite the fact we never showed her all the doors of the house, once I left the basement door open, and 5 min later, here she was, climbing the stairs of the basement to come say hello! Then she climbed on our coach because she thought it was comfy enought for her to lay her egg there. If someone comes with a car at our place and leaves the door open, she'll have to go and visit the car!
    When I hopd them and I talk to them they always answer to me...And they must be smart, because I don't know what I'm telling to them!
    edited November 2010
    aww how cute! i wish my chicken did that!
    edited November 2010
    Wow! You must have smart chickens. My chicken also anwsers me too! (sometimes.)
  • iloveexbatsiloveexbats Senior Member
    edited November 2010
    We have a hen that sounds a bit like yours Delislelegrand. She comes into the house, given half a chance, lies in the dogs bed, lays her eggs in a box ontop of the filing cabinet and has her dustbath in our conservatory! When the doorbell rings, she rushes to the door with the dogs to see who's there. She will fly out of her run and tap on our back door if she thinks that her food hopper needs to be filled up too!:) She hasn't got into anyone's car yet like yours. You'll have to be careful that she's not hen-napped!
    edited November 2010
    We have a chicken that used to quack!
  • ChickenLytleChickenLytle Junior Member
    edited December 2010
    One of my chickens is very smart and will range far from the flock to find the best food first. She has been known to blunder though.
  • gerakliussgerakliuss Junior Member
    edited December 2010
    Are they really smart? :)
    define ticking noise in engine
  • AlmaraAlmara Junior Member
    edited May 2011
    When reading several books (most specifically 'My Family and other animals') There are references to a whistle that the chickens came running to, because it meant it was feeding time :) . So yeah, I can believe chickens are intelligent. Mine aren't, but they could be.
  • SportscarSportscar Member
    edited May 2011
    Hi
    I had a clever cockerel 'pingu' he is gOne to 'beegal' as nobody wanted him.;-(
    He used to make a fuss if you didn't cuddle him, offering you any titbits off the ground. He would crow over and over if their were strangers about!!
    He used to climb up his fencing using his beak and feet until he could get out over the top of his area and when he saw you coming he used to hide until you turned your back and then climb back up and over and in.
    He hated the washing machine !! ?
    He used to screech as loud as he could if he saw you take the washing out of the basket and open the washing machine door . Same with the tumble dryer.!
    He used to jump on your lap when you called him and meant his head against you when you said the word 'cuddle'
    He also knew when you had food in the garden. He would offer titbits of his food or grubs as an exchange for a bit of human food ;-) he loved tomatoes too. Egg fried rice was his favourite though.
  • ronymarkronymark Junior Member
    edited May 2011
    I love Chicken. Chicken is my favourite Food. I eat very different type of Chicken but my favourite Chicken is Chicken Fry.