We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Chicken with swelling on earlobe. Help please?

Bobess2Bobess2 Junior Member
edited February 2007 in Poultry Health and Welfare
Hello, we have a problem with initially one and now two of our chickens. Firstly one had a large swelling on the side of her face - we spotted it yesterday. Now today looks as if another is getting swellings on either side of her head. It is directly where the earlobes are.

We have been recommended by a friend to try a homeopathic remedy (hepar sufuris calcareum) so am trying this for a few days. Will wait to see what transpires. Does anyone have any other suggestion or had any experience of this sort of thing. Should we isolate the poorly chooks from the rest?

I have searched the internet and can not appear to find anything similar to this. Would welcome advice/suggestions as we are fairly new to chicken keeping. Our girls were bought in August 2006.

Many thanks
Bobess2

Comments

• SandySandy Senior Member
    edited January 2007
    Your birds have a respiratory illness... you should try to get Tylan 200 injections for them

Treating them early they will recover quickly.. left it will get worse

I know what your saying... they don't have any respiratory symptoms...

Well none that your seeing.... the swelling is the main indicator that its respiratory... affecting sinues.. causing swelling

If one has it ... it may end up spreading to all that they have been with... if you have the Tylan handy and able to give the injection intramuscular yourself.. its a lot cheaper and really quick response by the birds.. swelling goes down in 24 to 36 hours..
  • Bobess2Bobess2 Junior Member
    edited January 2007
    Have been to the vet this afternoon and she says they have a bacterial infection which is contagious and has therefore prescribed some powder type medicine to put in their water each day for 7 days - She said we must on no account eat their eggs for 3 weeks! :(

I am absolutely mortified have just had to buy eggs from our local supermarket!!! :eek:

Nevermind hopefully they will all be on the mend now.:)

Bobess2
  • crazychickcrazychick Senior Member
    edited January 2007
    I would be tempted to leave them on the antibiotics for longer than 7 days- maybe 10, just to be sure that they are over the disease... Which medication did the vet put them on? If it's baytril, 7-8 days should be enough, but you want to make sure they're totally over their infection before taking them off or the infection may come back again...

Glad you got them into the vet and on some meds, though- hope they recover quickly!

Laura
    edited January 2007
    Hi there, The medication prescribed by my vet is called 'Ronaxan P.S. 5%' (Don't know however if this is the same name in the UK - we live in France). The instructions say to use it for 3-5 days and the vet said to be on the safe side keep using it for 7 days. The girls all look fine - and are all behaving normally, but then they were never off their food or anything like that. Just had these peculiar swellings coming up.

Fingers crossed they will be fine now I have them on the medicine.

Thanks for everyone's advice - it really is appreciated.

Regards
    Bobess2
  • SandySandy Senior Member
    edited January 2007
    Ronaxan is [SIZE=-1]Doxycycline
    [/SIZE]is a member of the tetracycline antibiotics group and is commonly used to treat a variety of infections. Brand names include Monodox®, Periostat®, Vibramycin®, Vibra-Tabs®, Doryx®, Vibrox®, Adoxa®, Doxyhexal® and Atridox® (topical doxycycline hyclate for gum disease).
    [SIZE=-1]

[/SIZE]
    edited February 2007
    Just like to say thankyou Sandy and Crazychick for your advice and information.

Day three of the antibiotics and the hens are all doing well. The swelling is definately subsiding so I think all is well now.

I have found this forum really interesting and informative. It is good to know that in future, should I need it my questions will be answered. :)

Thanks again.

Bobess2.