We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

fertile eggs

shannonwalshshannonwalsh Member
edited February 2007 in Poultry Health and Welfare
I am trying to entice setting and have been allowing my hens to build up a nest by leaving the eggs. It is quite cold here. How long is it safe to leave the eggs in the nest? Thanks for you help. Shannon

Comments

• crazychickcrazychick Senior Member
    edited January 2007
    Depends on how cold it is, I guess. If the eggs freeze, they will not be fertile anymore, but if you can go in and turn them once a day (helps them to keep longer) and it is around 15-18 C in your coop, then they should keep just fine. Too warm and they start to incubate- too cold and they'll die. What kind of hens do you have? Have they ever gone broody before?

Laura
  • shannonwalshshannonwalsh Member
    edited January 2007
    I am a stupid American and can't remember the celcius conversion but it has been well below freezing betwwen 12-30 degrees F. I have a 5 stall barn with a hayloft. the chickens have 2 11x15 stalls. this nest was in some hay in a hayrack against a wall. there is a heat lamp in the stall but not focused on the nest. The hen that I am trying to entice is a cochin mix. Her mama was some sort of banty with feathered feet and a feathered crown. Her Mama was an excellent broody hen. Her daddy is a barred rock cochin. She is quite beautiful. She is about 1 year old and a slate blue with feathered feet and crown. She is kept with my white frizzled rooster. I'm hoping for some blue frizzles. This would be her first set. Another hen is also laying on this nest. I don't care which starts to set since I want both sets of babies. The other hen is a Millie Fleur/Cochin cross and is also with the white frizzle rooster. The blue one started to set last night but was off this morning and the eggs were cold. I threw them away.Is there a way to tell if they are frozen? I would like to try again. Thanks Shannon
  • shannonwalshshannonwalsh Member
    edited February 2007
    Haha on me. When the eggs freeze they crack open.DuH! Anyhow, when the temperature dropped I started pulling all eggs anyway. I will try to set when we get back above freezing. I had some set successfully in December so I thought I could do it again. It was pretty cold but not compared to this beastly cold we are having in Kentucky now. Sorry if I ask stupid questions. This website is a great teaching tool. Thanks to everyone who takes time to answer questions. Shannon