We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

swollen crop??

dessydessy Junior Member
edited December 2010 in Producers and Vets
don't know if any1 can help, my rhode island has developed a large lump on her chest about the area her crop would be. its like squeezing a balloon of water. any1 know what this is, or could perhaps throw some light on a possible solution

Comments

• LoulabelledaisyLoulabelledaisy Junior Member
    edited September 2010
    Hi There
    Is it a lump on her crop or do you think it is her actual crop that is swollen?
    L
  • dessydessy Junior Member
    edited September 2010
    feels like its on the inside so would probably go for her crop itself. done some further reading yesterday and found a piece on cropworms. can that happen??
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    edited September 2010
    hi
    how is she looking/ acting? normal or lethargic?
    if shes not showing any symptoms and appears to be healthy then youre probably just seeing her crop- in some breeds , a full crop can make them look buxom.
    to test her crop is working o.k. feel it first thing in the morning, after shes spent the night not eating. if theres no swelling there then, everything is o.k.
    chooks can sometimes get breast blisters but these are associated with disease and thered be obvious symptoms showing (e.g.cough, sneezing, watery eyes)
    they can also get gape worm but these would be irritating her and youd notice the coughing, gaping and head twitching.
    after a long drink, the crop does feel like a water bomb
    come back and let us know how you get on, especially if you discover she does have other symptoms
    best wishes
    kath
  • adrienndionadrienndion Junior Member
    edited September 2010
    I went to see my two young girls tonight, and noticed one of them has a very swollen growth area. Is this normal. I have never seen this in any of my chicks would appreciate if someone could shed some light on the situation for me.
  • spodskispodski Senior Member
    edited September 2010
    Dessy, is the crop gaseous? When you massage it gently can you hear gas escaping? One of my girls was like that and pro-biotic yoghurt and garlic cured it incredibly quickly!
    Regards,
    Lynn
  • spodskispodski Senior Member
    edited September 2010
    Where is the swollen growth area?
  • shaunmedrikshaunmedrik Junior Member
    edited December 2010
    The crop may occasionally become impacted when feed is withheld prior to worming, causing chickens to eat too much afterwards. Crops may also get packed when birds are free ranged where little is available to eat but tough, fibrous vegetation.Gail Damerow's "Chicken Health Handbook" lists the treatment as follows:Disinfect skin, slit through skin with very sharp blade, pull skin aside and slit through crop, clean out crop, isolate bird and keep wound clean until it heals.
  • sandiesbrahmassandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    edited December 2010
    I would feel the crop first thing this morning. It should be empty.
    If the crop is empty it is likely that your bird has rather a large crop and is a bit greedy (Several of mine are like this).
    If the crop is not empty first thing and the chicken is not very ill, does not have 'bad breath' etc., then syringe, very carefully a couple of mls. of olive or similar vegetable oil in and massage the crop carefully for about 2-3 minutes. Do this twice daily and keep her on a soft diet plus probiotic yoghourt for about 2 days, it usually cures the problem.
    If the hen is ill and has a bad smell to her, she probably has sour crop and you need to try to massage the rubbish out (several threads on here as to how to do that).
    I've NEVER done crop surgery and think you have to be either very brave or rather foolish to do so. (Sorry, but that's my opinion)

Sandie