We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Housing

edited August 2010 in "Off Your Chest"
I have four Bantams, three Polands and an Australorp who will probably have some new friends at some point! They are currently in a 4-6 bird house from
www.henhouseworld.co.uk/ {CH103} which I was given.

It is ok - although there is not a solid floor, just the removable droppings tray. We have quite cold and wet winters up here {North Scotland}, and I'm thinking it would be good to have something with some shelter for them - and maybe less draughty?

Does anyone have the Cocoon 2500 house from Amazon or Ebay? It has a raised house {easier for me to clean out as I have some mobility issues} and a covered run. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003WJSUFS/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A3M167022STUZS

I hope eventually to have the chickens totally free range, the dogs {Cavalier King Charles Spaniels} are getting used to them first, so they are currently in a large temporary run, made with that orange plastic mesh fencing.

With the Cocoon house, I would put it on slabs with wood chip - and they could have somewhere secure for when I'm not about {we have foxes and Pine Martens to contend with - also a resident stoat who has decimated the local vole and mouse population!, but I'm not sure if he would take Bantams?}. Probably in time would plan to cover the roof and run with Onduline or something similar, to make it last longer.

Thanks in advance for any advice and help.

I would of course love the Eglu cube but sadly the budget doesn't stretch that far :( ...any alternative suggestions gratefully received {I'm not in a position to build my own house unfortunately}.

Comments

• taz08taz08 Junior Member
    edited August 2010
    i have a simular 1 of them
    it says you can get 6 hens in it
    not nearly enough room
    i put 5 bantams in it with an extra run
    dont get me wrong its a great house/run
    and it dose have a solid base too
    ohh word of warning
    in high winds the house roof opens up so better attach something to keep it shut :eek:
    trying to catch hambergs isnt funny!!!:D
  • edited August 2010
    Thanks for the reply, that's really helpful. We have high winds here...so I will have to fix something.