We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Featherless Blackrocks

johnjohn Junior Member
edited January 2007 in Poultry Health and Welfare
Hi I Hope You Can Help. I Have Got 12 Blackrock Chickens, Only 3 Have Still Got All There Feathers On There Rear And There Backs. The Others Dont. I Have Put Red Mite Powder Down About 2 Months Ago. I Hang 2 Fresh Cabbage Up Every Day. I Have Had Them Since August And They Were Point To Lay.they Are My First Batch Of Birds. They Also Peck At Eachother When On Their Perches. I Hope Someone Can Help Thank You.

Comments

• crazychickcrazychick Senior Member
    edited January 2007
    Hi john,

It is possible that your hens are going into a moult- sometimes they will go into a mid-winter moult and lose most of their feathers. Do they look like their feathers are being pulled at and broken off or are they falling out? Are there feathers in the coop everywhere or does it appear as though the others are pecking at (and eating) the feathers right off the hens? If you suspect that the hens are being pecked at by some of the others, I'd try separating them and see if they continue losing feathers or if they seem to retain those that they still have left. If they continue losing them, then I'd suspect that they are indeed going through a moult. Keep up with the cabbage- maybe "up" their protein- both to encourage new feathers to grow back and also to make up for any deficiencies that the hens may be feeling (which will lead to feather picking). Canned catfood, dry catfood and soaked dry catfood are great (cheap) sources of protein. A can a day, shared between the 12 hens will help them out immensely. You may also want to dust them again with the mite powder- give them all a good looking over and see if there's any sign of mites (mite eggs near vent are a good sign). Are they still laying well or have they stopped laying? What colour are their combs?

Good luck with your flock...

Laura
  • johnjohn Junior Member
    edited January 2007
    hello Laura

thank you for your reply it is greatly appreciated. my chickens are still laying fine and their combs are red. we have just started to give them poultry spice at the weekend. there are no feathers in the run or hen house, where they are featherless it looks red and sore. i will try what you said about the cat food.

thank you john
  • sandrabearsisandrabearsi Junior Member
    edited January 2007
    Keep up with the cabbage- maybe "up" their protein- both to encourage new feathers to grow back and also to make up for any deficiencies that the hens may be feeling (which will lead to feather picking).