We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Featherless Blackrocks

johnjohn Junior Member
edited January 2007 in Poultry Health and Welfare
Hi I hope you can help. I have 12 Blackrock Chickens, only 3 have still got all their feathers on their rear and their backs. The others dont. I have put Red Mite powder down about a month ago. I hang 2 fresh cabbage up every day they also have layers pellets,mixed poultry corn and mixed grit. I have had them since August they were Point To Lay. They are my first batch of birds. They also peck at eachother when on their perches. they have a 40ft x 20 ft run. Please help thank you

Comments

• SandySandy Senior Member
    edited January 2007
    Do you have a rooster.. if yes... remove it

They are being mated too much ..

Layers have very brittle feathers... when roosters mate.. they tend to break them.. and finally they fall out... back.. tail.. neck.. and heads are the most affected

Until molt they won't grow back

With the pecking...get a product called Blue Cote... Citrogen... its sold in the feed stores... they use it on horses.. it colors the skin blue... the hens are picking on the pink bits they see.. they think its lunch... so coloring it helps to stop this

Also put a red light in your chicken coop... not blue.. must be red.. this helps to stop pecking

Also they may need more space.. and more things to keep them busy

Try puttin out a cabbage for them to play and eat...

Lucern Chalf.... in some chicken wire so they can peck at it but not spread it all over the place.. keeps them busy

I will also post a link for you to read about cannibalism.... pecking will lead to this if it isn't stopped

Click here to read how to help bored chickens

Click here to go to Cannibalism information
  • johnjohn Junior Member
    edited January 2007
    Hi sandy thanks for your reply i will try and get some of the blue coate and and give it a go.I have just starting to give them poultryspice and i hang two fresh cabbage a day thank you john
    edited January 2007
    Only give a half a cabbage on any one day... something in the cabbage is bad for them if given too much... the word excapes me at the moment.. some sort of acid
  • johnjohn Junior Member
    edited January 2007
    Thanks You Sandy All Your Help And Infomation Is Gratefully Recieved .would You Stop Giveing Them Cabbage And If Yes What Would You Do To Keep Them Buisy. Also I Was Told To Put Some Sand In A Box For Them To Dust In Is That A Good Idea Or Not Would That Help Keep Mites Away. Thanks Again Sandy
    edited January 2007
    john wrote:
    Thanks You Sandy All Your Help And Infomation Is Gratefully Recieved .would You Stop Giveing Them Cabbage And If Yes What Would You Do To Keep Them Buisy. Also I Was Told To Put Some Sand In A Box For Them To Dust In Is That A Good Idea Or Not Would That Help Keep Mites Away. Thanks Again Sandy

You can keep giving them the cabbage but just reduce how much your currently giving them

I use grated carrots, zucchini's cut in half.. they love them.... tomatoes... I sometimes cut a pumpkin in half for them to peck at

The reason I grate the carrot is that they find it very difficult to digest and with it being grated it sort of acts like a cleaner for their insides...

They dust bath in lose dirt not sand... you need to put a box with soft loam out of the rain or it will turn into a bog...

Sand is great in the yard area.. I use it all the time.. it helps to keep them cleaner.. but I always leave areas that are dirt under the eaves or other places... and this has to be in the sun.. they love to dust bath in the sun
  • johnjohn Junior Member
    edited January 2007
    G Day Sandy My Blackrocks Are Still Pecking Each Other Got A Antiseptic Spray From Farmshop Which Is Purple I Sprayed Them At The Weakend And 2 Have Been Pecked Bad I Mean They Have Open Wounds On Their Backend I Was Going To Put Baby Powder On What Do You Think Look Forward To Your Reply Thanks John
    edited January 2007
    john wrote:
    G Day Sandy My Blackrocks Are Still Pecking Each Other Got A Antiseptic Spray From Farmshop Which Is Purple I Sprayed Them At The Weakend And 2 Have Been Pecked Bad I Mean They Have Open Wounds On Their Backend I Was Going To Put Baby Powder On What Do You Think Look Forward To Your Reply Thanks John

John your in for trouble... cannibalism is not a good thing to happen in your flock

Any bird that has an open wound must be isolated from the others until it has healed over or the other birds will continue to peck at it ... and finally causing death to the birds

Purple spray is a good idea... also put some betadine (iodine) on the open wounds... the purple spray will dry the skin so just be careful ok.. it should if its the one for horses keep any flies from striking the wounds

DON'T put baby powder on the wounds...

I will post a link on cannibalism and feather pecking .. please read it .. good information in it

Click Here to read information on Cannibalism