We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Leg problems in rooster, disease? need help ASAP!

actonranchactonranch Junior Member
edited January 2007 in Poultry Health and Welfare
my rooster developed raised parts on his legs (probably due to leg mites?), but only on certain parts of them. He was doing just fine with that until he started bleeding from his legs (not the raised parts, but on the flat parts). He mainly bleeds on his right leg from one 1/2 inch large area, but starts now to develop more very small spots on his flat leg parts (including on his toes) where he bleeds a little. Since then he is limping badly as well. I treated his legs with mineral oil for the mites, but his bleeding persists, even gets worse. HE seemed to develop wild flesh growths out of the large wound, I put Fura-Zone on it and it stopped.
I searched the internet for advice to find out what exactly he has, but found nothing. Can anyone please help me determine what he got so it can be treated right? No other chicken in my flock has anything like that, they all look and act healthy, so I assume it is not really contagious.
Thanks,

Sabine

Comments

• DR.Ghanim AbdulrahmanDR.Ghanim Abdulrahman Junior Member
    edited January 2007
    actonranch wrote:
    my rooster developed raised parts on his legs (probably due to leg mites?), but only on certain parts of them. He was doing just fine with that until he started bleeding from his legs (not the raised parts, but on the flat parts). He mainly bleeds on his right leg from one 1/2 inch large area, but starts now to develop more very small spots on his flat leg parts (including on his toes) where he bleeds a little. Since then he is limping badly as well. I treated his legs with mineral oil for the mites, but his bleeding persists, even gets worse. HE seemed to develop wild flesh growths out of the large wound, I put Fura-Zone on it and it stopped.
    I searched the internet for advice to find out what exactly he has, but found nothing. Can anyone please help me determine what he got so it can be treated right? No other chicken in my flock has anything like that, they all look and act healthy, so I assume it is not really contagious.
    Thanks,

Sabine
    Hi ,so long as the rest of the penmates are showing no clinical signs , that it's obvious to be a sporadic case your rooster contracted incidentally.First thing I advise you do is to shave the wounded area , clean thoroughly ,apply antiseptic & tincture of iodine twice a day for seven consecutive days.You should concomitantly inject it with sulphatrimethoprim intramascularly , I/M ,for a whole week .You try that and i wish a quick recovery for your rooster.
  • crazychickcrazychick Senior Member
    edited January 2007
    Just a note on nitrofurazone- this ointment is great for filling in a wound with granulation tissue, but in areas where there is already a lot of "proud flesh" (granulation tissue that is raised above the skin's surface) then I'd avoid using it as it can further complicate matters. Your roo probaby has scaley leg mites- the mineral oil is going to help- you may want to give him a dose of ivomec (0.1 cc for a small bantam, 0.3 for a leghorn-sized hen, 0.35 for a leghorn sized rooster, 0.4 for a standard sized hen (Isa Brown sized) and 0.5 for a large rooster). Give the injectable ivomec orally - then repeat in 10 days to 2 weeks. Continue putting ointment on his legs- ichthammol, polysporin etc will work well too. As the good Doctor suggested above, if the legs are infected, an antibiotic may be needed...

Laura

Laura
  • pabrikapabrika Junior Member
    edited January 2007
    I searched the internet for advice to find out what exactly he has, but found nothing.

Remortgage Loan Information Auto Loan Calculator Home Equity Mortgage Loan
  • SandySandy Senior Member
    edited January 2007
    Bleeding of the legs can be caused by =Sulfaquinoxaline Poisoning Sulfaquinoxaline Poisoning
    Its used in all sorts of thing

Treatment of Coccidiosis
    Also rat poison

So the question is ..... have you been using any rat poisons around your yard or barn or house... or have you treated your birds for Coccidiosis recently or used any medication for this

Loads of information on the internet about it
  • SandySandy Senior Member
    edited January 2007
    also sulphur or lime on the ground can cause a bad reaction to some birds