We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

unexplained poorly chicken can anyone help!

darpolldarpoll Junior Member
edited June 2010 in "Off Your Chest"
We have 5 ex battery chickens which have been with us for 8 months and have been healthy and happy until recently one of them showed signs of a compacted crop, we sorted this out with warm olive oil. She then got better. Then later the same chicken has become really listless, her crop seems ok but when you pick her up she seems very skinny. Her combe is very pale and she is very sleepy and just sits.

we have seperated her from the others and she is drinking a lot of water but doesn't seem to be making a very good recovery. Does anyone know of the best way to source a vet, I strugged to find one last time the chickens were ill.

Cheers
Darpoll

Comments

• undautriundautri Senior Member
    edited June 2010
    Check her for parasites/ worms both of which will make her weak If shes just had a compacted crop maybe shes got an infection from it-is her breath smelly? she could also be going down with something and may need antibiotics. Repost your thread in the health and wefare section and state what area youre in so that people nearby can recommend a vet
    failing that any vet in your area would be willing to have a look. i dont have an avian vet where i am but my local vet is always willing to help

Good luck
  • iloveexbatsiloveexbats Senior Member
    edited June 2010
    I'm sorry to hear about your ex-batt. You could try contacting the battery hen welfare trust who have co-ordinators across the country and may know of a good poultry vet. I found a bird friendly vet by just typing 'poultry vet Hampshire' into google search - but maybe you have already tried this. Best of luck.